Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8,500 SAR or 2,260 $ for a University teaching job?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I would take this job if:
I was a muslim I was broke and I wanted to learn the Koran in Arabic
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
It was the last job I could find and the fry guy position was already filled
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
It paid 2000 dollars more
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
It paid 3000 dollars more
50%
 50%  [ 6 ]
I could keep my passport and could ditch the job after 1 paycheck and I had eaten all the Arab yogurt I could stomach
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: 8,500 SAR or 2,260 $ for a University teaching job?! Reply with quote

This is an excellent opportunity for an eager Arabian Language student to learn the language and have a comfortable lifestyle. On the other hand you might want to enjoy about the same pay or more in Korea or China as a university professor... But, if you are a muslim and want to eat only approved foods this is your chance!

I just do not understand the pay on this job though- I thought they would pay more. Is the recruiter keeping some of your monthly salary in an undisclosed - but completely legal arrangement with the university? Or is this just a recruiter who gets a single fee for recruiting a 'professor'? I suppose if you love hot weather and Arab culture or religion this is a much better job for you than an equal salary package in Korea or even Vietnam. It is strange how economies rise and fall. Now in China you can make 3000+ in a polluted city while in Saudi Arabia you make 2/3rds as much. I guess I should get established in a Myanmar or Indonesian Beach city and then wait for the wages to go up 200 percent.

Thanks for applying at _____________ We have new positions for ESL teachers at King Saud University and TVTC Vocational college or Hafer Al Batin University for the next academic year 2018/2019.
Teachers will be expected to teach the English Language ( Speaking, Listening, and Writing ) to different levels of students. Below is the remuneration package:
Basic Salary 8500 SR
Medical Insurance
Single status contract
Accommodation & Transport provided.
One month paid annual vacation, along with round-trip tickets and end of year bonus
5 working days/week
Maximum of 25 -30 students per class
Diverse backgrounds of colleagues and students
The secured contract for a couple of years according to the clients and candidate mutual approval for renewing the contract.
Over 30 native teachers in each university
Comfortable work environment
If you are interested in the above offer (Salary) then please do let me know how soon you will join us so that I can proceed with your application and schedule an interview with our academic team between 7 and 10 PM KSA time.

In order to arrange your interview, kindly send me your updated CV, degrees, TEFL/CELTA certificate & Passport copy with Skype ID.

I very much look forward to your reply and hope to speak to you shortly.

Best Regards

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s pretty bad
After working in Riyadh for a year, I don’t think I would ever go back for anything less than 5k/month-it’s simply not worth the trade off
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one month paid vacation would probably be during Ramadan which is actually six weeks OR the Haj which is two weeks.

8500 SAR is a joke. You would save about 6-7000 a month depending on your life style but why would you take a low paying job when you could go somewhere else for about the same and a better quality of life?

Say no and run away. There are military contracts that pay three times as much.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be an option where you can just say NO and not accept the job.
The Great Toad

Location: Formosa until Fall then... another English Crusade I shall sally off to ????

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was 10-12 university classes a week where you did NOT have to take attendance- as with the stipend training colleges where students are apprentices and their place of work is your class- I would consider it- especially if I was very interested in learning Arabic or traveling to exclusive Saudi locals. However that is not the case. I think the guys who get that job are qualified experienced teachers in Nepal/Laos/Cambodia/Thailand/Eastern Europe making 500-1000 a month and then decide they want to jump up their salary 100 percent or more. That seemed to be the case with my colleagues when I took a Saudi job before. Anyway I can not think of anyone else who would consider the job. I would rather live in the USA and make a bit less as a lame gate keeper security guard.

I am really disappointed in Saudi Arabia it is losing its super rich status as a place to make 4000-6000 a month teaching English. The King needs to be notified so he can rectify the situation. He should start a government fund that automatically pays 2000 dollars a month to English teachers - then a job like this would be four grand a month. I he would need to do is save his food, fuel, and firepower budget cash by canceling some skirmishes.

I suppose I am angry I went through the trouble of sending the recruiter all my info and he comes back with a wretched non-negotiable 950 a month... I hope he is putting his add up in Egypt Indonesia and the Philippines as that is a supa sweet salary for a public school teacher there.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Toad wrote:
I am really disappointed in Saudi Arabia it is losing its super rich status as a place to make 4000-6000 a month teaching English. The King needs to be notified so he can rectify the situation. He should start a government fund that automatically pays 2000 dollars a month to English teachers - then a job like this would be four grand a month.

Frankly, KSA salaries for expat TESOL teachers are probably where they should be. Besides, the country's priority is to replace foreign guest workers with qualified nationals.

Quote:
I suppose I am angry I went through the trouble of sending the recruiter all my info and he comes back with a wretched non-negotiable 950 a month.

That ad was likely placed by a recruiter working for a for-profit business. Don't apply to work for these companies if you want a better offer. Similarly, if your quals are mediocre, your pay will be too.
Sheik Yerbuti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my time at KSU in 2011...that's an appalling salary. Seven years ago
the low was about ten, and some with big degrees got 16 or 17. Management
was insufferable, but not a demanding gig at that time and like working in a nice mall.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary seems more like a teaching allowance for Saudi.....just above voluntary servitude! Shocked Shocked
hash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question the authenticity of the above posted “job ad”. I also am wary of the motivation for posting the so-called “poll”.

1- The ad is bristling with all kinds of errors…some of the listed items end in periods, others don’t. ” Teachers will be expected to teach the English Language ( Speaking, Listening, and Writing )” Not Reading?? Salary range….very few ads will state a salary or salary range…and so on.

The ad appears to be a compilation of several ads trying to pass itself off as a genuine single ad (for what reason, I don’t know).

2- The poll is as unprofessional as it gets. None of the questions are related to any of the others. No matter what the results, what possible conclusion could one draw from the results? The answer is NONE…because the questions are meaningless. What it appears to show is someone’s attempt at humor or better, “cuteness”.

It’s interesting to note that so far, the poll hasn’t received a single response…..a reflection, no doubt, of the blatant superciliousness of the entire project which so far, has fooled no one.
============================
The thread does show the frustration readers have been having vis a vis current salaries in KSA for ESL teachers……but this subject is now at least 3 years old. Do we really need a “poll” and postings on the subject at this late date?

Anyone who is “surprised” by this unfortunate development (low ESL salaries), well, you haven’t been keeping up and you should realize it’s not going to change….anytime soon.

======================

PS The OPs contention on a couple of occasions that the "job" might be of interest primarily to those who are interested in learning “the Arabian language” visibly displays someone profoundly unfamiliar with the real KSA.

Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Todd (The OP) also had some rude and disrespectful forums on the Korean Board a while back claiming he wasn't hired to teach in South Korea due to race and age while mocking ESL teachers there.

Personally, I would never accept 8500 SAR but I wont insult Saudi or Muslims like he did.
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid Saudi Arabia!!!

For those that are going to work in the KSA, how much money are you going to have to put down before you fly over for the visa? What if you don't get the visa after all the money and time that you've put down? What if the worthless students decide they don't like you and you're gone in 3 months? What if you don't get a single occupancy apartment, believe it or not, that is really bad. The Saudis do the absolute best that they can to be turkeys and that is that. It's not worth it anymore. Be forewarned.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi is best these days for those EFL teachers who have nothing in savings.....and those 30 year old something native English speaking Muslim converts who wish to spend time in the Holy Land doing weekly pilgrimage to Mecca.
desert_traveller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty dreadful to me
voyagerksa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could only trust them even with the low ball wages they hash out.
Northern Sol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
The Great Toad wrote:
I am really disappointed in Saudi Arabia it is losing its super rich status as a place to make 4000-6000 a month teaching English. The King needs to be notified so he can rectify the situation. He should start a government fund that automatically pays 2000 dollars a month to English teachers - then a job like this would be four grand a month.

Frankly, KSA salaries for expat TESOL teachers are probably where they should be. Besides, the country's priority is to replace foreign guest workers with qualified nationals.

Quote:
I suppose I am angry I went through the trouble of sending the recruiter all my info and he comes back with a wretched non-negotiable 950 a month.

That ad was likely placed by a recruiter working for a for-profit business. Don't apply to work for these companies if you want a better offer. Similarly, if your quals are mediocre, your pay will be too.

I think you are missing the point. Pay in the Middle East is not much to do with your experience or qualifications. It is compensation for the amount of crap that you will have to put up with.

Unless the pay is significantly more than you can get elsewhere, it isn't worth doing.

Don't imagine that the Saudi teachers of English get paid less than the native speakers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: