Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best locations in China for additional earning potential?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Best locations in China for additional earning potential? Reply with quote

I’m a first year newbie with EF in Wuxi. Trinity TESOL certified.

I’m now planning my second year in China.

I’d like to follow the model of obtaining a Uni/High School contract that gives me the free time to earn extra money.
Whether that be in a private language school or one to one.

I’d basically like peoples opinions on the optimum places in China to follow this model?

Wuxi seems to be clamping down on teachers working outside of their Z Visa requirements. Also, it may not be an optimal earning city.

Many thanks in advance
Very Happy
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a Z Visa now?
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I have my Z Visa.
rioux

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pretty much the work hours at any university will afford you plenty of time to earn extra money.
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks rioux

are you usually approached by uni students for privates?
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not usually, but I would say every now and then. It's hit or miss. Then again I didn't actively pursue it or make myself known that I wanted to. If offered I would simply discuss how many times per week, for how many minutes and for how many people and of course the fee.
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks Smile
Jmbf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any large tier 1 city would offer better opportunities for finding private students and the rates will be higher as well.

Or if you want to earn some real money go to Hong Kong Wink
Unheard Utterance

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:
Any large tier 1 city would offer better opportunities for finding private students and the rates will be higher as well.

Or if you want to earn some real money go to Hong Kong Wink

Yes, maybe but you'll be landing in one of the most expensive places in the world for hotels and accommodation in general and you'll most likely be sharing a broom-closet sized room with 2-3 strangers in a tiny flat while you try and get a better job than the crappy job you've taken just to stop and tsunami of cash flowing like the Amazon out of your account while you feverishly throw out flyers to those wanting private tuition. I think you paint HK in a slightly rosier picture than it is for most people. It takes TIME and $$$$ setting up in HK. Not every wants to share like a backpacker, nor do people enjoy spending thousands on a pipe-dream to wealth in HK. If it's worked out well for you; great, but perhaps hold back on the rhetoric.
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmbf wrote:

I always have a justifiable reason for a high rate to charge. If it is tier 1 then yeah pay should be way up there. If it is tier 2 or 3 then many times there aren't many other NET's so the law of supply and demand kicks in.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unheard Utterance wrote:
Not every wants to share like a backpacker, nor do people enjoy spending thousands on a pipe-dream to wealth in HK. If it's worked out well for you; great, but perhaps hold back on the rhetoric.

I was short on time yesterday so my post was brief and, perhaps, a bit glib. Some of what you say about HK is true. It does require a lump sum to get yourself established here. It does take time to find decent positions and work your way up the ladder. And it can be tough surviving on entry-level pay.

However, the potential to earn a good income in HK is far far higher than what’s available on the mainland. That’s just a basic fact. To be clear, im not saying it’s easy or quick to find positions that pay decently. But there are such positions available for those willing to work hard to get them.

I know several teachers in HK earning USD $100K+ / year. I can’t say the same of China.
panatelladavid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys,

really interesting and helpful points about HK. Thank you. it is somewhere that ill definitely consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: