Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Indonesia with EF, Indo vs life in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
claka77

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Teaching in Indonesia with EF, Indo vs life in China Reply with quote

I’m an early 40something Aussie guy who’s considering teaching adults in Jakarta or Bogor with EF. I have a degree, TESOL and a Masters in Primary Teaching (bad choice by me so I don’t really use it now, adults and teens are better for me). I’ve previously only travelled to Bali during the dry season in Indonesia; I’m guessing that the rest of Indonesia is a little or very different. I’m currently back in Sydney teaching adults; it makes me miss living overseas (I also have no family of my own or much else to keep me here, commuting in Sydney also takes time along with an expensive cost of living). I have considered Vietnam and Thailand in the past however I’m guessing the salaries aren’t great and the visa process is stressful (I’ve been a tourist to the latter, I’ve never been to Vietnam).

I was just wondering if anyone has worked in both China and Indonesia (I’ve previously worked in Guangdong tier 1 cities and also in Korea)? I’ve considered returning to China as well (because of the options I have and because I’ve previously lived there) however a new place sounds more exciting. The few Indonesian students I’ve had have been among some of the best I’ve ever had which has made me curious (along with being close to home). I read that the salaries with EF are around 13,000,000; after rent and taxes is there much left? Are utilities cheap to use (particularly air-con and internet)? With EF, are the teaching hours reasonable? As for outside class, do locals leave you alone (like in NE Asia) or do people hassle you to sell you something (like in Bangkok from my experience)? Is housing easy to get near a language mill such as EF (I’ve heard commuting can be a killer in Jakarta traffic)?
Elicit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this so I’ll add something here.

Language is relatively easy to pick up and you are left alone with nobody trying to sell you stuff.

EF usually provides accommodation and it is normally relatively well located for work purposes. No bills to worry about as they’re paid and maybe even a maid thrown in. Houses are shared though.

EF gives you the nett salary so no taxes taken out. As I mentioned on your other thread Wall Street may pay around 20 million with a housing allowance on top as they don’t provide accommodation. This is an approximate figure as it is second-hand info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: