Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules to Apply for a Work Visa in Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marinx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: New Rules to Apply for a Work Visa in Canada Reply with quote

"Starting January 1-st, 2019 all Chinese consulates in Canada will require each visa applicant to be PERSONALLY PRESENT at the consulates for fingerprints submission. Visit to the consulate must be done by appointment only. Even if the applicant resides in other provinces it does not exclude him/her from meeting this requirement."

https://www.visahq.ca/china/#!china-work-visa

Ouch.
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? I live in New Brunswick and would have to fly to Montreal, rent a car and make an appointment? Would schools reimburse me?

I can get finger prints with my CBC (Criminal Background Check). I wonder if this would sidestep this.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marinx wrote:
"Starting January 1-st, 2019 all Chinese consulates in Canada will require each visa applicant to be PERSONALLY PRESENT at the consulates for fingerprints submission."

Ouch.

If this new visa requirement is specific to Canadians only, it might be due to the ongoing tiff between Canada and China.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clicked the link in the OP and saw nothing that mentioned this.
Marinx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Marinx wrote:
"Starting January 1-st, 2019 all Chinese consulates in Canada will require each visa applicant to be PERSONALLY PRESENT at the consulates for fingerprints submission."

Ouch.

If this new visa requirement is specific to Canadians only, it might be due to the ongoing tiff between Canada and China.

I initially thought so as well. But the announcement on the embassy website predates that issue: http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsyw/t1616395.htm
John2018

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in China teaching at a University, I'll be renewing my contract and returning to this school in September.

I'm from Halifax... so I'll have to fly to Ottawa just to get my fingerprints taken when I apply for my new work visa.

There doesn't seem to be any way to submit my fingerprints here in China before I leave and have them sent to the visa office in Canada or something
Also, I don't see any exemption for people who have previously received a temporary residence permit and had their fingerprints taken in China (ie. at the airport)

http://bio.visaforchina.org/YOW2_EN/generalinformation/news/283478.shtml
"The following applicants could be exempted from the aforesaid requirement:

1. Those who are less than 14 years old or more than 70 years old;

2. The head of state or government and the accompanying family members;

3. Those who are eligible to be issued diplomatic, service or courtesy visas;

4. Members of the diplomatic and consular posts in China, and the accompanying spouses, parents and minor Children;

5. Those who have applied a Chinese visa with the same passport in the past 5 years in the same Chinese Embassy/Consulate General or Chinese Visa Application Service Center, which has collected his or her fingerprints;

6. Those who suffer from mutilation of all ten fingers or whose fingerprints cannot be collected."

I guess I'll have to make an appointment with the visa office in Ottawa, fly from China to Ottawa, probably plan to spend like 2 days there in order to make sure I don't miss my appointment if the flight is delayed or something, apply for the visa and give them my fingerprints, then fly back home to Halifax and wait for them to mail me my passport with visa.

Mad

Last edited by John2018 on Mon May 06, 2019 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are renewing you should not need to apply for a new visa (school should simply renew your residence permit). I also think that this requirement is becoming true in other countries as well, but not sure.
John2018

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
If you are renewing you should not need to apply for a new visa (school should simply renew your residence permit). I also think that this requirement is becoming true in other countries as well, but not sure.

Ah, that would be great news!
I'll check with the school.

Foo_Fighters_Dave wrote:
Seriously? I live in New Brunswick and would have to fly to Montreal, rent a car and make an appointment? Would schools reimburse me?

If you live in New Brunswick I think you have to apply for your visa in Ottawa, not Montreal.
(you might want to verify that)

Marinx wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
Marinx wrote:

Ouch.

I initially thought so as well. But the announcement on the embassy website predates that issue: http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsyw/t1616395.htm

The embassy website reads as follows:

"In accordance with China's related laws and based on the principle of reciprocity, the Chinese Embassy as well as the Consulates-General in Canada will entrust the Chinese Visa Application Service Centers to collect the ten fingerprints of all visa applicants including Canadian citizens and issue biometrics visas from January 1st, 2019. Meanwhile, applicants are required to fill in the electronic application forms and make an appointment online in advance.

The biometrics visa is an international trend , and has been rapidly popularized worldwide in recent years. Canada has also started to collect the biometric data(including fingerprints) of the Chinese citizens who apply for Canadian visas in China from December 31st , 2018."

http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/sggg/t1626681.htm

Apparently Canada did it first?
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John2018 wrote:
nimadecaomei wrote:

Ah, that would be great news!
I'll check with the school.

I have been here continuously since 2008 and that is the procedure. If you are returning to the same school you can just renew the residence permit at the local PSB, no need to go anywhere in Canada or get a new visa. Technically, even if switching jobs you could do that, but sometime the old employer holds up the paperwork.
John2018

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I have been here continuously since 2008 and that is the procedure. If you are returning to the same school you can just renew the residence permit at the local PSB, no need to go anywhere in Canada or get a new visa. Technically, even if switching jobs you could do that, but sometime the old employer holds up the paperwork.

Yea thanks for the tip.
I'll be returning to Canada for a while in July regardless... I was thinking I'd have to get a new visa but now that you mention it I remember reading about residence permit renewals while still in China.
Certainly makes more sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: