Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Required to Record All Oral Exams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chryanvii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Required to Record All Oral Exams? Reply with quote

(Question 1): Our university coordinators have told us that we need to record all of our students' oral speeches for their final exams and submit them to the office. Do you think that's a strange request? Have you ever been asked by your university leaders/coordinators to do this before? Why do they need all this stuff?

(Question 2): Have you ever had your coordinators use a student as a liaison to communicate with you, instead of having the coordinator communicate with you directly? Several times this semester I have had students approach me to remind me about certain things. For instance, today the monitor of our class reminded me that we needed to record the exams next week. I took a little bit of offense to this, since it seemed as if I was receiving orders from a student.

Actually...I haven't even met this coordinator this semester face-to-face.

Anyway...knock some sense into me! Maybe I'm the one who needs some shaking up? Just wanted to see if anyone has had the same experiences at their schools...
teenoso

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have had to record exams before , and it was a complete pain , but honestly I don't think anyone ever listened to the audio files. It was just for their records, in case of a 'quality audit' by the local government/provincial school office etc.
And yes , some schools will use students as liaison - at my last school there were over 20 FTs and the foreign affairs office was terrible and used to dump lots of work on the poor 'volunteer ' students .

Also on some courses I've had a student assistant to help and he/she would often convey messages and reminders.
To be honest, the less contact with school bureaucracy the better , imo, so I really didn't mind.
doogsville

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my last job they started having us record the Oral exams three years ago. They provided hand held recorders, little dictation machines, but they stopped working after the first year so we just used out phones after that. Put your phone on the desk in front of the students and use the app of your choice to record. Then change the file name to the student(s) registration number(s) and you're good to go. We had to burn them to CD/DVD and hand them in with the score sheets and other paperwork for those classes.

They never told us why, and we never asked, but I would guess it's in case of any dispute about the score. I believe IELTS speaking tests are also recorded for similar reasons.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oral examination/assessment
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't seem to be able to edit my posts.
Osiry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to record student spoken assessments for external moderation purposes, but that's about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: