Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conversa Spain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Profe18

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Conversa Spain Reply with quote

I've been offered a position through Conversa Spain. They place teachers in K12 schools to work support the English teacher. They have a program fee of 1250 Euros which doesn't include the visa fee, housing, nor health insurance. Is anyone familiar with this program? Any information would be appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visa fee? Are they offering to get a US citizen a work visa? Don’t pay anything up front!!! This may well be a scam...
yurii

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversa Spain Reply with quote

Profe18 wrote:
I've been offered a position through Conversa Spain. They place teachers in K12 schools to work support the English teacher. They have a program fee of 1250 Euros which doesn't include the visa fee, housing, nor health insurance. Is anyone familiar with this program? Any information would be appreciated.

I've just done a Google and found the information here. So, you will be a language assistant, get 1,000 euros a month in the Madrid region for teaching 16 hours a week or 875 euros in Murcia for teaching for 15 hours a week. The programme will cost you 1,250 euros in Madrid or 850 in Murcia. Why on God's name would you pay 1,250 euros to get a job?
Profe18

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Conversa Spain Reply with quote

Thanks, Yurii. You raise a good question--why pay to get a job? The only reason is because I love Spain, and it's very difficult for non-EU members to get a work visa. I just found out that one can participate in the same program with no fee is s/he applies directly through the Spanish government. http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convocatorias-programas/convocatorias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.
RoadAbTeach

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Conversa Spain Reply with quote

Profe18 wrote:
Thanks, Yurii. You raise a good question--why pay to get a job? The only reason is because I love Spain, and it's very difficult for non-EU members to get a work visa. I just found out that one can participate in the same program with no fee is s/he applies directly through the Spanish government. http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convocatorias-programas/convocatorias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.

I would agree with this. In fact, it is a bit strange that the Spanish government is paying the same salary 875 Euro for the Murcia region as ConveraSpain is paying, except ConversaSpain is charging 850 Euro to participate whereas the Spanish Government is not charging anything. The only difference is that the deadline for this program has closed with the Spanish Government, whereas it remains open with ConversaSpain, alas with an 850 Euro fee to participate. Something is not right...
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are desperate times...and there are many NON EU citizen desperados out there from the WEST who will pay anything just to get a teaching job in Spain. Actually one cannot save any money doing this program...Spain living costs for EU members teaching English are probably in the neighborhood of 1000 + Euros a month. This advert is a joke...a serious one all be it...it is basically VOLUNTEER WORK! Shocked
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Scam or not? Reply with quote

Buenos Dias every one. It's 2019 now, and Conversa, Spain is still at it. Can anyone tell us from firsthand experience if this is a legitimate outfit? I too am extremely suspicious of the upfront fees they want. Something may be rotten in Madrid and Murcia. I have written to Dave Sperling himself to ask that he look into this, and remove their ad if they really are scammers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: