Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of relocating to Thailand, please, help with info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Thinking of relocating to Thailand, please, help with info Reply with quote

Having spent 4 years in China and having suffered a breakdown from all the stress and pressure there I am thinking about moving to Thailand. I am a non native speaker, and, in China, that was hardly an obstacle. Does the same go for Thailand? Also, what are Thai students like? Chinese students' level of English was nearly zero, and many teaching jobs were a joke, since the employers cared only about money and not the quality of teaching. Is it the same in Thailand? In China one could make a lot of money just joking around or sometimes, doing nothing (in public schools).
I expect the country to be much more laid back and less stressful than China, although the salaries are lower.
Could you, please, clarify the Thai situation for me?

Any piece of information is highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

PS. I hold a bachelor's degree and a CELTA certificate. I am originally from Serbia, Europe.
Oh yes, and my age is 43.
bograt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of relocating to Thailand, please, help with in Reply with quote

IvanaShaanxi wrote:
Having spent 4 years in China and having suffered a breakdown from all the stress and pressure there I am thinking about moving to Thailand. I am a non native speaker, and, in China, that was hardly an obstacle. Does the same go for Thailand? Also, what are Thai students like? Chinese students' level of English was nearly zero, and many teaching jobs were a joke, since the employers cared only about money and not the quality of teaching. Is it the same in Thailand? In China one could make a lot of money just joking around or sometimes, doing nothing (in public schools).
I expect the country to be much more laid back and less stressful than China, although the salaries are lower.
Could you, please, clarify the Thai situation for me?

Any piece of information is highly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

PS. I hold a bachelor's degree and a CELTA certificate. I am originally from Serbia, Europe.
Oh yes, and my age is 43.

Impressive English mate
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good enough for China. I guess it would be ok for Thailand too.

Anyway, I would like to teach children.
Hermosillo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eastern Europeans are the latest bunch to take low paying teaching jobs. Paperwork will be a nightmare, but you might find a decent place to work. Enjoy your three Dollars per hour.
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
The Eastern Europeans are the latest bunch to take low paying teaching jobs. Paperwork will be a nightmare, but you might find a decent place to work. Enjoy your three Dollars per hour.

Will that be my pay as a non native? No chance of earning more? Three dollars per hour is an insult. I can make the same amount teaching English online here in Serbia.
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do schools in Thailand offer accommodation?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanaShaanxi wrote:
Hermosillo wrote:

Will that be my pay as a non native? No chance of earning more? Three dollars per hour is an insult. I can make the same amount teaching English online here in Serbia.

As a white NNES you can expect 25-30k thb/month and no benefits. Housing is usually not supplied. You will be competing with the Filipino applicants who are working for 15-20k baht/month.

You will need, in addition to your degree, academic transcripts and police clearance, a valid TOEIC (IELTS or TOEFL) report. The CELTA (or other TEFL cert) is NOT a requirement.

bograt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IvanaShaanxi wrote:
Hermosillo wrote:

I worked for the BC in Hong Kong with teachers from Russia and the Ukraine on 5k US a month. I'd look into that if you're chasing the bucks.
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answers, friends.

Any additional info is highly appreciated.
noel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermosillo wrote:
you
You don't know what you are talking about.
Low pay, but nothing like 3 dollars. Don't give people false information!
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noel wrote:
Hermosillo wrote:
you
You don't know what you are talking about.
Low pay, but nothing like 3 dollars. Don't give people false information!

30k baht/month for 22 x 8 hour days....
30k baht for 176 hours = ~170 baht/hr. So a NES would be working for about US$5.50/hr. NNES typically earn less.
Filipinos work for about 115 thb/hr (20k thb/month) or $3.68/hr at today's exchange rate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: