Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Indonesia or Vietnam (or China)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
claka77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 am    Post subject: Indonesia or Vietnam (or China) Reply with quote

I've been offered a few positions and was wondering if anyone can compare Indonesia with Vietnam? With Indonesia, the position is at EF in Jakarta while for Vietnam it's Apax English (in Ho Chi Minh or a small southern town). The Vietnamese position pays almost $1000 Aud more; the only reason I'm still considering EF is because I assume Bahasa Indonesian is much easier to use and learn (along with being EF).

I've previously worked in South Korea and China as an ESL teacher; I have a couple of good Chinese offers which pay $1000AUD more than Vietnam however as many people China comes with some serious negatives despite veing more developed. I'm 41, male, single and I have a BA, TESOL cert and more recently an MA in Primary Teaching (but I'm not super enthusiastic about international school work as a homeroom teacher).
Elicit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try Wall Street Jakarta for a better offer if adults in Indonesia is a possibility you’re considering.

Having worked in all the countries/cities you’ve listed, if money was of no concern, I still couldn’t choose between them. Jakarta is pretty dismal. There are many nice places in the country but Jakarta is not one of them. However, the students, and people more generally, I have found to be nice. Perhaps that would be a winner for me,... just.

Saigon was OK but a little hectic. Saved more money than in Indonesia but there are temptations abound for spending your salary.

As for China, and as you well know, the best thing is the departure lounge of an international airport terminal.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small southern town in VN is Vung Tau, I assume. If you want to live at the beach, go for it. Although a bit boring, it's a rather pleasant location.

Somebody posted this link on an earlier thread about APAX:
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/APAX-English-Reviews-E1361863_P2.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: