Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

contract question for everyone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtomchek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: contract question for everyone Reply with quote

Hello:

So I went through the interview process with a brand new school. They are currently in a temporary location but will be moving to the permanent one in the summer. I got the job and they offered me a generous contact. They are saying I need to come over on a tourist visa and they will sort it out there as they need to get their qualification. Does anyone know if this sounds normal? They were always upfront about being a new school and they sent me pictures of the new building. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this going as a tourist and the school (which is private) will send me to HK to get the working visa when it is time.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d be cautious, but yeah, I did that with my current school. And it worked out. Make sure you take every conceivable document and qualification with you. But you still may have to return home to get the work visa. I didn’t have to.
eihpos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple of people who did it this way no problem. However, these days things have gotten even more strict and if you are working for any time at all without a visa, you could get caught. I would check with them how long they are planning to wait before sending you to HK. In addition, how long will it take them to get certified? That could be a problem. I don’t know how long it takes for schools to get their documents sorted but it might take a while. In the meantime you have no security. There are plenty of schools out there , you would be better off going with one already established.
teenoso

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree it sound like a very bad idea to go along with this school... unless it's in Shanghai where they have their own rules.
Schools employing foreigners need special certification and approval and I doubt this is a quick or easy process - meanwhile you are teaching illegally on an L visa
Kierana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont teach on a tourist visa, ever.

If they want to put you to work before you have a Z visa then find another place to work.
dtomchek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I turned them down but they said they would wait for me until the appropriate visa is in place.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say they sound good, just make sure they get the visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: