Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is the best time to apply for a Uni position?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nellychess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: When is the best time to apply for a Uni position? Reply with quote

Can one apply too early?

Another question I have is related to airfare reimbursement. I was planning on heading to the Philippines to visit my cousin for the summer, and then hopefully to work in China at the start of the school year.

Would I be able to get reimbursed for any of that? Or will I just receive money for Philippines to China?

Are there some Unis that just give you a flat amount?

Cheers
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. Maybe. Yes.

Many Uni's will not even look at CVs until they start thinking about hiring. However they DEFINITELY won't see them if you don't get them in before summer and winter vacations. Timing is important. I would start sending them out Around May 1st for the Fall term and mid-October/beginning of November for the spring term.

Not sure about your summer plans. Most schools do not reimburse you for travel coming to China prior to working with them (although a few do). Most will give you travel money at the end of each term or even at the end of your contract. Most don't care where you're going/coming from.

I would say most universities give you a flat payment in cash. There are a few that go through the reimbursement process, but most don't. The last 2 questions are things you need to ask the schools directly.
nellychess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks. Thats very helpful. I didn't even know one could be hired for the winter session.

So I'm not wasting airfare by flying out early in the summer somewhere out that way and travelling is what I'm hearing from you.

Thats ok. I just didnt want to blow a bunch of money by flying out too early on my own.

Thanks again !
teenoso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Unis I have worked for re-imbursed airfare based on receipts, and the last one was very strict , requiring receipts and ticket stubs/boarding card! But they all re-imbursed at the end of the year/contract .
Best to negotiate this as a flat rate before you sign the contract, so there are no problems - I would even take a slightly lower figure than you may actually spend on the flight (say 5000-600 rmb) rather than have to prove spending.

I agree you should not apply too early because the FAO may think you will change your mind if the negotiations and agreement are done too early . May or June should be fine for September. Bear in mind the hoops you have to jump through : health check, possibly, degree authentication, criminal background check, references - these will all take time.
nellychess

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks, thats helpful. That gives me time to figure out what cities to focus on.

It would be super ideal to get hired before June 1, quit my job mid June, and spend the summer in the Philippines or somewhere, then hop over to start late August or whenever.

I'm planning on trying to teach English online over the summer wherever I go.

I'm hoping to do that on the side in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: