Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking a contract when you're new

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flannelgrungenostalgia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Breaking a contract when you're new Reply with quote

I have been in a new job since January and it's not working out. I want to be fair with my employer. They haven't exactly treated me badly. It's more that the job is not a good fit.

What to tell new employers? Should I just leave job off CV? How much notice to give current job?
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a totally lost cause to stay and try to work things out?

If it is or isn't then I would discuss things with the boss.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How is the job not a good fit?
2. What does your contract state with regard to notice (standard seems to be one month)?
3. You are not being treated badly, so can you stick it out and move on afterwards?
4. Have you somebody that you can talk to, to dicuss the issues that you are having with the role?
5. Have you got another job lined up already?
(Whats to say that your next gig won't be a good fit also)
Flannelgrungenostalgia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you rioux and getbehindthemule for your responses.

The job is not a good fit because the program is top-down, meaning the lessons and curricula are decided by higher-ups and I don't have input into what I teach. The students seem to hate the curricula too and have complained about it. Teaching them is a nightmare. If I could make changes, it might be better, but have been cautioned against this.

I would be willing to stick it out if the contract were one year but it is three. I am getting deeper into my 40s and feeling the pull of mortality. I don't want to waste my life in a job that makes me want to weep.

As for lining up another job, I am looking actively. But I'm not sure what to tell potential employers. I'm not flaky and I have never ever left a job early (been teaching since 1998). Will they view this as a red flag? I am looking to return to the US, so perhaps I can play the 'this country didn't agree with me' card?
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three year contract seems unusual and not something I'd be happy to sign.
But more imporantly, I would also hate to have to teach a curriculum where I have no involvement to amend and improve to lesson plans with my own ideas and resources. So I totally understand where you're coming from. You should talk to your boss about this.
If you are leaving China, whats to worry about, just talk to your boss and work your notice?
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can add my two cents........been in a similar situation with the job sucking so badly it was a struggle just to get out of bed and face the day......other teachers I have seen do a runner in the same situation.....by just not showing up for work at all and no notice........just disappear.

So, my advice would be to put in your notice.Work for the next two weeks and get out of there.

Look after you first.Don't worry about your employer.

And, possibly the most important thing.Try to stay positive and find your next job asap.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: