Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign University Programs on the Mainland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Foreign University Programs on the Mainland Reply with quote

I know that this topic comes up from time to time and I am raising it yet again.

I am curious about these foreign university programs and wonder what working at one would be like. I know of at least eight such programs here on the Mainland:

University of Michigan/Shanghai Jiaotong
Carnegie Mellon/Sun Yatsen University
U. of Pitt/Sichuan University
Duke Kunshan
NYU Shanghai
Kean Wenzhou
Xi’an Jiaotong/Liverpool University
University of Nottingham/Ningbo University

Are there any others? What general comments do you have about such programs?

Also, of particular interest to me are the salary ranges that an experienced TESOL instructor with an M.A. in TESOL could command.

Thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Elicit

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take no news as relatively good news. In the grander scheme of things, they seem to be better places to work.

As for salaries, a MA TESOL and ELT experience is not enough for some and will see you on a lower salary at others, unless the experience is EAP. For the smaller/choosier ones, additional pieces of paper may be required and/or boxes checked.
jagb6f

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Post Reply with quote

I admit some strong curiosity on this topic as well. I'm teaching at a University here in China and, while I love the life, I'm considering my future goals. I live right next to Suzhou where XJTLU is and I've done a bit of research on them at least as it counts for jobs.

The job that seems to fit my passions is Language Tutor, which requires a MA, preferably in Applied Linguistics as it says on the website as well as a CELTA or a Delta.

The salary is around 16k-20k based on qualifications it said, which is pretty damn nice for Suzhou. If anyone else has any more insight on working there, I'd love to hear more information.
The bear

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Reply with quote

jagb6f wrote:
I admit some strong curiosity on this topic as well. I'm teaching at a University here in China and, while I love the life, I'm considering my future goals. I live right next to Suzhou where XJTLU is and I've done a bit of research on them at least as it counts for jobs.

The job that seems to fit my passions is Language Tutor, which requires a MA, preferably in Applied Linguistics as it says on the website as well as a CELTA or a Delta.

The salary is around 16k-20k based on qualifications it said, which is pretty damn nice for Suzhou. If anyone else has any more insight on working there, I'd love to hear more information.

Starting salary at XJTLU is 20k. Rises depending on experience and qualifications. They are looking for an MA in a related field plus experience, however, they're pretty much always recruiting so if you have the MA then go ahead and apply. Worst they can say is 'sorry, no'.
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the "million dollar question": how far beyond the 20,000 RMB/mo. benchmark would be possible at one of these joint venture programs (excluding housing and travel allowances)?

Many thanks for the answers thus far.

I am considering my next move and these programs continually come up on my radar. My current situation is not bad, the money is good, but naturally I am always considering ways to make even more money. As was mentioned, the worst that would happen is that I would apply and the response would be "no, sorry", and then I would just keep keepin' on with what I've got.

Warm regards,
twowheel
The bear

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:
That is the "million dollar question": how far beyond the 20,000 RMB/mo. benchmark would be possible at one of these joint venture programs (excluding housing and travel allowances)?

Many thanks for the answers thus far.

I am considering my next move and these programs continually come up on my radar. My current situation is not bad, the money is good, but naturally I am always considering ways to make even more money. As was mentioned, the worst that would happen is that I would apply and the response would be "no, sorry", and then I would just keep keepin' on with what I've got.

Warm regards,
twowheel

It's become a lot harder to get promoted at XJTLU according to a friend who works there. Not impossible but it will take quite a while e.g. 5 years +. Unless you do something incredible. There are increments each year for satisfactory work, but these aren't much. Something like 200rmb a month.

If you've got a related MA, a long record of EAP teaching then you should be aiming for 25-28,000 RMB at XJTLU. If you have less experience then probably around 22,000.
D. Amokachi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Central Lancashire has partnerships with Hebei University, Shanghai University of Business and Economics, and Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, among others. They advertise fairly regularly on TEFL.com and jobs.ac.uk.

I have experience of working for them so if you have any questions then drop me a message.
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twowheel wrote:

I am considering my next move and these programs continually come up on my radar.

Don't think of these as your only option twowheel. I used to work at one and now work in the international department of a public high school. My pay is better than before (and quite a bit better than 20k) and the benefits are awesome.
twowheel

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned before, my situation is not bad and my pay is decent, but I am thinking that I can do even better both professionally and financially for my next move.

Continued thanks to all for the insightful responses here.

I do appreciate China in this regard. When I first came to this country nineteen years ago, it seemed unimaginable and absurd to stay long-term in China to make an adequate living as an educator. That seems to no longer be the case. Decent money can be made here in legitimate positions that can help one continue to grow professionally.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Simon in Suzhou

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
twowheel wrote:

I am considering my next move and these programs continually come up on my radar.

Don't think of these as your only option twowheel. I used to work at one and now work in the international department of a public high school. My pay is better than before (and quite a bit better than 20k) and the benefits are awesome.

I'm in the same boat. There is a lot of money out there for high school programs these days. As well, I've found that a key to greater success to a long-term career in education in China is to find a way to get out of the "expat bubbles" in the universities, and into a more direct relationship with the Chinese education system. This involves putting in some effort at raising your mandarin skills to an intermediate level, and suffering through some Chinese bureacracy. but the rewards are tremendous. Working as the ONLY foreign teacher at a school, I no longer have a Chinese manager mediating my professional life. When my school has cooperative events with other schools and universities (seemingly every other week), I am meeting and having dinners with Prinicipals, Deans, and other education officials i would never meet simply working on a university faculty. Who you know is EVERYTHING in China. Simply through these contacts in the last year, I know I will probably never have to apply for a job again. THE BEST JOBS ARE NOT ADVERTISED IN CHINA.
twowheel

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

BOOM! Excellent insights, Simon in Suzhou. Many thanks for sharing them. I pretty much concur with everything you've penned.

I have never been one to cozily enter the expat bubble. While I do see many advantages to signing on with one of the foreign university programs on the Mainland, entering that expat bubble that would come with such a move would be something that I would probably struggle with.

My Chinese is adequate (passed HSK 5 in July 2017) and I do enjoy connecting/networking/collaborating with Chinese only (Peace Corps work background regularly brought me out into the sticks of Sichuan where I was the only foreigner around). I have since gotten used to what it takes to doing so and I nicely roll with it.

Your advice, as well as nimadecaomei's, has really gotten me to thinking on a different level. I am not sure I really want to leave Beijing and start over. Perhaps I could reconfigure my search and look around town here for such high school programs. I reckon there are more than a few here.

Many thanks once again for the excellent insights here.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: