Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

air pollution in santiago

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hedon

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: air pollution in santiago Reply with quote

I have a dilemma which I thought some of my TEFL colleagues might be able to help with.

I've been given an interview for a job in Santiago but am getting cold feet after seeing google results suggesting that air pollution is a major problem. Apparently there are various reasons but the city is surrounded by mountains so the pollution gets trapped.

I would like to go for it but as I get asthma I'm wondering if its crazy to go any further with the application.

Appreciate any input.
ploughon

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was in Santiago for 6 months in 2012. The pollution can get a bit bad but not worrying levels. It didnt bother me at all. And its not even in the same league as many Chinese cities (was in China for 2 years) where its sometimes so bad that you can see it like a dense fog and the pollution phone app reading is at the max!
hedon

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ploughon
That's interesting.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hedon,

It's really not that bad. Winter is the roughest time for smog. I lived in Santiago for 2.5 years and I was never bothered by it. There are certain comunas that are worse, but generally, el centro doesn't have it too bad. Neither do nicer parts of Santiago, such as Provi or Las Condes, but if you're teaching you probably wont be living in those areas anyway. If you are really sensitive to it, go to the bus station at Universidad de Santiago and take a quick 90 minute bus ride out to the beach. Its only like 5 dollars, no, 10 dollars round trip. Laughing
AbeCross

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Not too bad for pollution Reply with quote

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/in/Santiago

This is very good--especially in comparison to China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: