Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age Discrimination

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sadebugo



Joined: 10 May 2003
Posts: 524

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Age Discrimination Reply with quote

A quick question, do online teaching companies tend to hire only younger applicants like some countries in Asia do? Just wondering if I could get into online teaching as an income supplement in retirement. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cole



Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Don’t Woory About It Reply with quote

Most companies don’t care as long as you can engage well with the kids.

With companies that deal only with adults, it’s better to be a bit older.

Don’t give it a second thought or harbor any doubts. You can get hired easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadebugo



Joined: 10 May 2003
Posts: 524

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Don’t Woory About It Reply with quote

Cole wrote:
Most companies don’t care as long as you can engage well with the kids.

With companies that deal only with adults, it’s better to be a bit older.

Don’t give it a second thought or harbor any doubts. You can get hired easily.


Thanks, Cole! I guess the next step is to figure out which companies are best to work for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cole



Joined: 17 Apr 2007
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Options Reply with quote

There are literally a hundred or more companies out there. Go here to shop around: https://www.goodairlanguage.com/teaching-english-online-2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadebugo



Joined: 10 May 2003
Posts: 524

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Options Reply with quote

Cole wrote:
There are literally a hundred or more companies out there. Go here to shop around: https://www.goodairlanguage.com/teaching-english-online-2


Thanks so much, Cole! All your help is really appreciated!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
suphanburi



Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 61 and work for DaDa. I am usually about 90% booked (and unbooked hours are paid at 1/2 rate).

It is more about your student engagement (and keeping your regular students after they are assigned to you). If you do well then no issue.
If your students are continually quitting then you won't last long.

Another place that lists on-line jobs is https://www.hioffer.com/ .
Pick your type of work (part-time, full time, days, evenings, etc), preferred students (primary, secondary, adult), specializations (TEFL, Business, test prep, etc), and required salary range ($5-10, 10-20, 20-30, 30+).

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadebugo



Joined: 10 May 2003
Posts: 524

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
I'm 61 and work for DaDa. I am usually about 90% booked (and unbooked hours are paid at 1/2 rate).

It is more about your student engagement (and keeping your regular students after they are assigned to you). If you do well then no issue.
If your students are continually quitting then you won't last long.

Another place that lists on-line jobs is https://www.hioffer.com/ .
Pick your type of work (part-time, full time, days, evenings, etc), preferred students (primary, secondary, adult), specializations (TEFL, Business, test prep, etc), and required salary range ($5-10, 10-20, 20-30, 30+).

.


Thanks, suphanburi! That's very encouraging to hear.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jimpellow



Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 897

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked for various online companies I would offer...

Japanese and South Korean companies prefer younger teachers and Japanese students seem to also.

China does not care as long as you are making the students happy.

European schools that teach adults seem to like older teachers as do the students.

My experience with the one Middle Eastern online school I am involved with would indicate age is not a factor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
AbeCross



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 176

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: brick and mortar age discrimination Reply with quote

Age discrimination at brick-and-mortar schools in Asia is rampant. This is strange as Confucius himself went home to teach at 67.
I am glad to hear that odious practice is not too prevalent online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China