Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring in Europe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
Unless you have nerves of steel, you might want to give Italy a miss. 90% of it is earthquake-prone as we have just been reminded. (And the beautiful, out-of-the-way places are not so well served in an emergency.)

Not to mention the floods that hit a half dozen or so European countries this year.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to mention the floods that hit a half dozen or so European countries this year.

Very true! Still, glad you're located in "terra firma" Nomad Soul! (Definitely not Europe then!!)
aces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm late to the party, but ever since our first trip to Europe, my GF's been on fire about moving there, so I've researched this topic pretty thoroughly. I'll assume you don't have EU residency rights or 1-percenter assets. Here are my takeaways:

1. AFAIK, no EU country has a retirement-specific visa, and the normal categories (work, study, etc.) don't really fit. You'll have to persuade an army of rule-bound bureaucrats to "think outside the box" to let you in. Good luck with that!

2. Exchange rates are a total wild card. Right now the EUR/USD rate isn't bad ($1.12 per euro), but in 2008 the rate hit $1.60 per euro. That would play havoc with your finances if it came back, and of course it could go higher. To make matters worse, you almost certainly wouldn't be allowed to get a job to make up the shortfall.

3. Health insurance is another issue. Medicare is no good outside the US, and although all EU countries have national health schemes, it's very unlikely you'll be granted access to them. You'll have to rely on private insurance, which isn't cheap to start with and only gets pricier as you get older. By the time you hit 80 or so, you'll probably be forced to return to the US, because your premiums will be unaffordable even if the insurance company doesn't simply cut you off.

Finally, as someone upthread pointed out, immigration laws aren't getting any looser, so even if they let you in, there's no guarantee they won't change their minds down the road.

Hope this helps!
uh huh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

Ace,

Yes, very good information.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

A ver...
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marriage CAN be a path.

In the UK the obstacle is that to marry a citizen and settle here the UK citizen getting married needs to prove a UK income of £18,600 or savings of £62,5000

Do that and get a visa and you will then have access to the National Health Service.
coffeespoonman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47 - out of curiosity, is that a misplaced comma or an extra zero? Confused
danshengou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeespoonman wrote:
Scot47 - out of curiosity, is that a misplaced comma or an extra zero? Confused

an extra zero
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often make deliberate misatkes to see if my readers are paying attention to the drivel that I write.
La Reve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Retiring in Europe? Reply with quote

An American friend went through all the nearly impossible hoops (closed consulate in San Francisco, lack of communication with country's consulate - including email) but now has legal residency in Portugal. I have a USA and EU passport, so it was easier for me.

So, yes, Americans can retire in Europe, but there is a lot of paperwork involved, including documentation of income.

I pay $500 a year for private health insurance for people over 65 (not easy to find!) Most medication is much cheaper than in the USA and some can be bought without doctor's prescriptions. My doctor visits cost about $20 euros with insurance coverage.

I had looked at Ireland and Italy but both were nearly twice as expensive as Portugal. Sometimes I wish I had tried harder to find a good place in France.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am replying to an initially 3-year old post, but since there has been a recent post I will continue with my thoughts and actions .....

I have made the same decision as the OP - retire in Europe. In my case I will not work for wages, but if I can, I will volunteer in schools doing conversational English with the teacher assigned to teach English in that school. Not an issue for me if I volunteer or not - I am still making arrangements for the move. The residency visa application is straight forward in many cases - but the bureaucracy takes time to navigate through.

I searched for requirements to obtain a residency visa (not work visa) and basically there are at least 3 requirements: 1. Evidence of a certain minimum monthly income that is "guaranteed"; 2. Evidence of Health Insurance; 3. Evidence of a residence/place to stay. Eventually you can get long-term residency for over 3 years (depending on the country. If you want citizenship, there is a time of stay in the country requirement and many times a certain fluency level in the language (often A2 by test result).

No point in discussing the best place to move to - it depends on a lot of personal things.
Blackbear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I often make deliberate misatkes to see if my readers are paying attention to the drivel that I write.

Inexpensive form of entertainment for you, perhaps Laughing
Blackbear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted as redundant...
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I searched for requirements to obtain a residency visa (not work visa) and basically there are at least 3 requirements: 1. Evidence of a certain minimum monthly income that is "guaranteed"; 2. Evidence of Health Insurance; 3. Evidence of a residence/place to stay. Eventually you can get long-term residency for over 3 years (depending on the country. If you want citizenship, there is a time of stay in the country requirement and many times a certain fluency level in the language (often A2 by test result)

As EU countries have certain leeway to impose national rules on residence and citizenship, this may/may not be exactly the specifications for every EU member country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: