Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American lawyer warns teflers to leave China now.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Stuka



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 200

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: American lawyer warns teflers to leave China now. Reply with quote

“DO NOT teach in China” says American lawyer Dan Harris. Writing in his award-winning blog https://www.chinalawblog.com/, the international law expert recommends expatriates currently teaching there to “leave now.”

Shortly after the blog appeared, 19 people, including seven teachers working for EF, were arrested in the eastern city of Xuzhou. The story hit the headlines nationwide, with the China Daily running the headline “Keep toxic foreign teachers away from kids.”

EF issued a statement regretting the behaviour of its teachers and confirming it would dismiss those involved.


https://www.elgazette.com/leave-now-says-lawyer-as-china-cracks-down-on-foreign-teachers/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rioux



Joined: 26 Apr 2012
Posts: 836

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Don't teach illegally.
2. Don't smoke marijuana or do other drugs not allowed here.


Apart from those 2 above I am curious to know what are the other reasons for the deportations as well as what percentage they constitute.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nimadecaomei



Joined: 22 Sep 2016
Posts: 516

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the whole English teacher as a victim idea. It is as if they were Shanghaied from their home country and forced to work in China illegally. My first gig here did not provide paper work, could not do it, and I left. I have been legally working here now for 11 years. What exactly is this lawyer saying? Does he think all foreign teachers in China break the laws here and therefore must leave before being caught breaking the law?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getbehindthemule



Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 708
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn, more click bait Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spatula City



Joined: 28 Jul 2015
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:
I love the whole English teacher as a victim idea. It is as if they were Shanghaied from their home country and forced to work in China illegally. My first gig here did not provide paper work, could not do it, and I left. I have been legally working here now for 11 years. What exactly is this lawyer saying? Does he think all foreign teachers in China break the laws here and therefore must leave before being caught breaking the law?


I think the worry was more if they use marijuana in their home country, come here and test positive. No law was technically broken, but they could still be held in prison where they would have few rights. They use hair tests which can detect it up to 90 days or so after use.... and apparently have been raiding workplaces.

Also while it's definitely something newbies should be aware of, you can't really expect everyone to keep up with the endlessly changing laws, and employers have nothing to lose by lying about what's legal, illegal and/or in a sort of grey area. Sometimes the alarmist message is the best way to cut through the confusion... there's a lot of conflicting info out there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AbeCross



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: More details are needed Reply with quote

"there's a lot of conflicting info out there." Indeed, there is. And it does not help that China has acquired a bad reputation for not honoring TEFL contracts.
In any case, avoiding China because of one very critical article seems like an overreaction.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Simon in Suzhou



Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 391
Location: GZ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to . get angry at the anti-China trolls who show up on every post here. Yeah, China isn't perfect and it's not for everyone, but it's no worse than anywhere else in this profession (and much better than many). But I finally realized you're actually doing me a favor with your hyperbole. Please keep encouraging people to stay away from China. Demand for quality teachers only increases and salaries and benefits keep rising on a yearly basis, unlike ANY OTHER ESL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. So thank you. I couldn't have bought my NEW 3 bedroom apartment here, up front, without you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
getbehindthemule



Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 708
Location: Shanghai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon in Suzhou wrote:
I used to . get angry at the anti-China trolls who show up on every post here. Yeah, China isn't perfect and it's not for everyone, but it's no worse than anywhere else in this profession (and much better than many). But I finally realized you're actually doing me a favor with your hyperbole. Please keep encouraging people to stay away from China. Demand for quality teachers only increases and salaries and benefits keep rising on a yearly basis, unlike ANY OTHER ESL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. So thank you. I couldn't have bought my NEW 3 bedroom apartment here, up front, without you!



Haha, good response mate! China has been very good to me also, no doubt about that! MOD EDIT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RiverMystic



Joined: 13 Jan 2009
Posts: 1973

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it some folks here are not bothering to keep up to date with political, economic and social developments in this part of the world. There are genuine long-term issues emerging here. They are unlikely to get better or go away. They will affect you and others coming here, perhaps mildly. Perhaps significantly. But you cannot avoid them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blistering Zanazilz



Joined: 06 Jan 2018
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RiverMystic wrote:
I take it some folks here are not bothering to keep up to date with political, economic and social developments in this part of the world. There are genuine long-term issues emerging here. They are unlikely to get better or go away. They will affect you and others coming here, perhaps mildly. Perhaps significantly. But you cannot avoid them.

I've been in China nearly 20 years now and am usually not one to complain about life here, but you're right on this. Recent events involving China, trade issues, kidnapping of foreign hostages as payback for arrest of the Huawei exec, the Hong Kong protests, etc don't give me a lot of confidence going forward that this is the place to be. I've never bought property here nor invested anything financially because there are just too many risks and uncertainty, and I'm starting to count down the days till I leave, quite possibly next summer. I'm just getting fed up with the increasing authoritarianism and bureaucratic hassles of accomplishing what should be relatively easy tasks - a recent experience at the bank being one of them. FYI, I've been to some of the recent protests in Hong Kong and have managed to shoot some very good video and photos of what's going on there. It's very eye-opening stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
voyagerksa



Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 127

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't smoke pot, hashish. Don't do other drugs, don't even think about it while you're in China. Don't be a hooligan. With this, the biggest problem you're going to have is pollution, which is far more dangerous to most western teachers in China than any else of the above.

The biggest problem in addition to the pollution is the top down government interfering in education without having a clue is to what is needed in terms of education by the schools and public. They institute age limits, and crack down on non-degreed teachers when there isn't enough teachers to be found by some schools. Those worthless document stampers need to leave people alone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spatula City



Joined: 28 Jul 2015
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
I've been in China nearly 20 years now and am usually not one to complain about life here, but you're right on this. Recent events involving China, trade issues, kidnapping of foreign hostages as payback for arrest of the Huawei exec, the Hong Kong protests, etc don't give me a lot of confidence going forward that this is the place to be. I've never bought property here nor invested anything financially because there are just too many risks and uncertainty, and I'm starting to count down the days till I leave, quite possibly next summer. I'm just getting fed up with the increasing authoritarianism and bureaucratic hassles of accomplishing what should be relatively easy tasks - a recent experience at the bank being one of them. FYI, I've been to some of the recent protests in Hong Kong and have managed to shoot some very good video and photos of what's going on there. It's very eye-opening stuff.


Well, on the bright side, if things get really bad then demand for teachers will be sky high and some people can buy even nicer apartments that they wouldn't be able to afford elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blistering Zanazilz



Joined: 06 Jan 2018
Posts: 160

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Elsewhere" being stable environments in which to invest. China may be a great place to make money, but it's becoming less desirable in other respects. People would be wise not to ignore what's going on here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spatula City



Joined: 28 Jul 2015
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blistering Zanazilz wrote:
"Elsewhere" being stable environments in which to invest. China may be a great place to make money, but it's becoming less desirable in other respects. People would be wise not to ignore what's going on here.


Yeah, you probably shouldn't take what I said too seriously. Obviously the fact that you can buy stuff or make friends with locals has nothing to do with social or political issues, and ignoring them or simply keeping your head down won't make them go away. We will always be outsiders and all of the apparently positive attention can sour really quickly. I don't think I've ever met anyone here who hasn't made that clear.

This isn't to say it WILL happen, just that the risk is always there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kalkstein



Joined: 25 Aug 2016
Posts: 78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spatula City wrote:


Well, on the bright side, if things get really bad then demand for teachers will be sky high and some people can buy even nicer apartments that they wouldn't be able to afford elsewhere.


I assume you mean rent, even if demand skyrockets I can't see most teachers being able to buy any apartment in a city like Beijing where the cheap ones are $500,000. Never mind the nice ones that are $2,000,000+ (USD). Even in the smaller cities you are talking $120,000+ for a standard apartment and $200,000-$300,000 for a nice apartment. House prices in China are very high.

Then there's the fact that rent is increasing faster than salaries. I've been here for a decade and I'd probably say rent has went up 75% in that length of time, salaries sure haven't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China