Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places to look for housing in Laureles, in Medellin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Best places to look for housing in Laureles, in Medellin Reply with quote

Hi all,

I landed in Medellin last week, and now the housing hunt commences, before the ESL job search.

What are the best places online and elsewhere to find a reasonably priced shared apartment in Medellin's Laureles? I'm thinking at or under 580000 COP per month. I am not into living large.

In response to various things I've posted in various places I keep getting offers for penthouses in Poblano.

Thanks.
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typo alert: "Poblado."
wanderingxelmundo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried: http://www.compartoapto.com?

Good luck! Please fill us in about Medellin as you settle in
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, it is better to stay in a hostel until you get hired. Then you will be able to get an apartment near your job. That's what you want. I don't live in Medellin, but you can use the same idea I did. Where I live, my job is a 15 minute walk one direction and the zona rosa (estrato 6 nightlife and restaurants) is a 15 minute walk in another direction.

This is great because I pay nothing for transportation, I don't get stuck waiting in traffic, and I stay fit. Also, there's no better way for a foreigner to learn a city than to walk it. You'll meet all kinds of people and learn things about the city you may not have a chance to otherwise.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PittsburghSound wrote:
Honestly, it is better to stay in a hostel until you get hired. Then you will be able to get an apartment near your job. That's what you want. I don't live in Medellin, but you can use the same idea I did. Where I live, my job is a 15 minute walk one direction and the zona rosa (estrato 6 nightlife and restaurants) is a 15 minute walk in another direction.

This is great because I pay nothing for transportation, I don't get stuck waiting in traffic, and I stay fit. Also, there's no better way for a foreigner to learn a city than to walk it. You'll meet all kinds of people and learn things about the city you may not have a chance to otherwise.

This is good advice. I also honestly hope that you procure a great ESL position. However, I would also recommend something shorter term as a lot of qualified and unqualified teachers pass through Medellin and get nothing, or something that is so pathetically bad they decide it best to move on. As I always say, you can make your money online if the need or desire arises and you want to stay there.
intelligent-hustler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Best places to look for housing in Laureles, in Medellin Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
Hi all,

I landed in Medellin last week, and now the housing hunt commences, before the ESL job search.

What are the best places online and elsewhere to find a reasonably priced shared apartment in Medellin's Laureles? I'm thinking at or under 580000 COP per month. I am not into living large.

In response to various things I've posted in various places I keep getting offers for penthouses in Poblano.

Thanks.

I definately like Laureles more than El Poblado and the housing costs are much lower. If El Poblado seems overly touristy to you, then think of Laureles as a hipster expat neighborhood. Prices are more reasonable and you get less of the cocaine sexpat tourist vibe.

But even with the lower rents in Laureles, you may have a hard time finding housing for 580000 COP in a nicer neighborhood. I stayed in 3 different apartments there, including 2 coliving flats. Least expensive was 800000 COP and I wouldn't stay there again. My place for 900000 COP was actually very nice. Across from the university, walking distance to shoppping, and 10 minute walk to the nightlife area (La Setenta).

It was a HUGE house, fully equipped kitchen, and lots of balcony and shared lounging areas. It even had a little gym. There are 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. Here are some pics to give you an idea. Most of the people living there were English teachers.

[img]https://nomadicfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Nomadic-FIRE-Medellin-Laureles-Apt-2.jpg?6a37ad&6a37ad[/img]
[img]https://nomadicfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Nomadic-FIRE-Medellin-Laureles-Apt-1.jpg?6a37ad&6a37ad[/img]

Message me if you want details, I can give you the whatsapp of my landlord.

If it's your first time in Medellin, I actually wrote up a Living in Medellin guide, it can help give you an idea of the different neighborhoods, types of restaurants, things to do, and can help give you estimates for cost of living.

https://nomadicfire.com/luxury-living-medellin/

Drop me line if you have any questions. Enjoy Medellin. It's one of my favorite cities in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: