Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Don't go to Hungary with CETP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gypsyhanga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Don't go to Hungary with CETP Reply with quote

I see that CETP is advertising again. How this company is still in business truly baffles me.

They charge a fee of $2500, which amounts to 5 months of your salary.

Despite taking your money, they work for the schools and will always side with them - even if the school is breaking your contract or the law.

The new ad states that you won't pay taxes. This is an outright lie.

Most of the schools are private and some operate outside Hungarian law. To be clear, you are not doing charity work. Most students are from upper-class homes.

Despite a "contract", I was paid in cash. When I discovered I was being paid less than a local teacher's salary, they suddenly provided fake documents and told me it was because I didn't understand the Hungarian tax system. Most of what was in the "contract" was never provided.

You may arrive in Hungary and find out your contract dates have been extended by months, that you are an assistant at a day care center (rather than a teacher at an elementary school), that your commute is 1 hour each way, and the nearest shops and bus stop are a mile from your apartment.

So, why are there positive posts elsewhere? It is because there are a few good schools and they cultivate relationships with a handful of teachers who they "encourage" to write posts about how wonderful these two women are. Negative reviewers are also attacked online and branded as liars.

If you still decide to go with them - I really hope you are one of the lucky ones. No one deserves to go through what I did. However, there are better programs (that don't charge) if getting to Europe is your goal.
twowheel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do pass Go, do not collect $2,500.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But think of the creative ways you could present this on your CV:

"Formed a small, exclusive NGO aimed at empowering young citizens of a transition economy through provision of specialized educational units to enable them to communicate and work effectively with private and public firms in both global and Western contexts" and bla-bla-bladidy-bla;-)."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

(no doubt many of you are better at blarney than I am!)
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
But think of the creative ways you could present this on your CV:

"Formed a small, exclusive NGO aimed at empowering young citizens of a transition economy through provision of specialized educational units to enable them to communicate and work effectively with private and public firms in both global and Western contexts" and bla-bla-bladidy-bla;-)."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

(no doubt many of you are better at blarney than I am!)

Haha, and you could probably do that while actually getting paid instead of paying Razz
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the 'nonprofit' element was quite persuasive;-)
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a terrible deal.

Good thing I'm not hung(a)ry.

Warm regards,
twowheel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: