Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What could I expect in Sydney, Melbourne, or Auckland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: What could I expect in Sydney, Melbourne, or Auckland? Reply with quote

I'm a U.S. citizen with CELTA + MSEd (TESOL), 6 years' full-time EFL teaching experience at the university level in Japan, and 10 solo publications & 1 shared authorship in not-great journals.

What kind of university work and what kind of working conditions could I expect in Sydney, Melbourne, or Auckland? I love city life and I prioritize urban environment over academic quality of the university.

Thanks!
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first issue in Australia will be your visa. I don't think it's likely a uni would sponsor you, but look on their website for jobs teaching or tutoring under/post-grad TESOL and see who is eligible to apply. Can't help you much with that, but I know they sometimes accept applications from overseas for very high-level jobs. Publications would help. However, most unis have a hiring freeze right now. Also, tenured positions don't come up often. You would probably have to work as a casual tutor (paid by the hr during semesters only. You would have to look up rates of pay at individuals unis. I would guess $150hr (AUD) for a tutorial or $200 or more for a lecture. Not sure how Japanese uni experiences is regarded here. Am ignorant on the matter.

Now moving lower down the ladder where I dwell.

If you are under 30, you might be able to get a Working Holiday Visa. If you are older, you might have to get a student visa, which would allow 20 hrs per week work, which is enough to support yourself if you work an elicos school. Not sure what kind of course your could enrol in though, since you already have high quals.

Unis have English Languages Centres that pay a damn good hourly rate, but the work is seasonal and new entrants are dumped in the off-season (busiest months being Nov-Jan and May/June, depending on the individual uni intakes). You could probably also work teaching English language subjects in ''Foundation'' and ''Diploma'' courses at universities.

There are also private English schools (called ELICOS), but they will want to rip you off and pay you a low salary step because you have no local experience. However, at least they would likely offer you 20hrs per week (the min hours students studying English in ELICOS school (inc uni English centres) have to study.

Hourly rate/short term contracts (at uni English centres) the best you can hope for. i.e. permanent position are rare and highly sought-after. Rate of pay could be anything from $40/hr (bottom of barrel English school) to $130/hr (Unis with good Enterprise Bargaining Agreements).

Obviously, Covid has destroyed the industry, as students are not allowed in the country right now (or any non-citizens). Wait a year and see how Australia recovers. Still, useful to have an overview of the countries you are thinking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: