Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Job Vacancy in Saint Petersburg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobs12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Possible Job Vacancy in Saint Petersburg Reply with quote

You're all going to laugh at me.

I may have a job available in Saint Petersburg. Quite possibly the best job in Saint Petersburg. My American colleague is planning to leave us, and (fingers crossed) we'll be taking on an assistant teacher to fill the gap. At the moment I don't know exactly what the conditions/contract will be like, but I do know that it will most likely involve a trial period.

Whether it will be full or part-time, I don't know yet, but even if it's part time, I can assure you you won't go hungry Wink

Now for the funny bit- wait for it, it's coming...

Selection will go a bit like this. In the event that the position becomes available, it will be up to me to find a replacement. I will take applications and bribes and I will recommend the right candidate to the management. They will make the final decision and tell you the conditions of the job.

The succsessful candidate will be a native speaker of English already living in Russia, preferably Saint Petersburg. Americans may have preference with the management, but all other nationalities will have preference with me. Best to say you're Canadian Wink

You will effectively be your own DOS, responsible for planning and executing courses at all levels, from beginner to advanced. You may be asked to give lessons/create courses for specific purposes- telephony/travel/meetings/official letters etc. for which you will have access to all necessary resources.

You can expect a supportive and fairly flexible work environment. Ability to cooperate and work in a team is essential. You will have a sensible, organised approach to long-term course planning.

You should ideally have a minimum of two years' teaching experience with good references. For qualified teachers we may consider candidates with less experience, on the provision of outstanding references. Suitable qualifications would be an English teaching degree (MA), a DELTA or, at a push and a lot of beer, a CELTA (go on, laugh!) supported by at least two excellent, checkable references. On the whole, experience and references outweigh qualifications.

Experience of working in the IT industry is a clear advantage, but any business experience will be counted in your favour.

Preference will be given to candidates prepared to commit to long-term work.

Lessons are mainly one-to-one and last 90 minutes. The focus is on conversation with very little writing, so experience of individual teaching and modern teaching methods is an advantage.

You should be easy-going and communicative, and be ready to spend time discussing problems/ways of solving them and improving the English programme.

Knowledge of Russian will be to your personal advantage, but has no bearing on your suitability for the job.

I hope that covers more or less everything, any questions, PM me. No smart comments about CELTA! One piece of advice I can give you is that your personality and my recommendation will count here more than anything else. The management may not even look at your references or qualifications- that part is up to me. If you are interested and want to get your foot in the door sharpish, email me at [email protected] with your CV, a covering letter explaining why you want this job, why you live in Russia, what your future plans are, and why you teach/want to teach English. A contact number for a checkable reference will be useful.
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're paying at least twice as much as BKC right?
Just checking Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: