Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to HK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generasian X

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Coming to HK Reply with quote

For those people still waiting on the "waiting list"...
If chosen to come to HK, how difficult is it to get adjusted without
a "buddy" or local friends' help?

When I moved to Japan, I saw that the people without host families had such a hard time settling in...but for those of us who did, we had people to take us to get our "resident" cards, multiple entry visas, bank accounts, whatever!

Does NET have any seminars that will "help" new NETs adjust to the new life? Or are you kinda outhere, looking for a dear, best friend?

Thanks everyone
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nets have their own little body called nesta...they will give you a helping hand...sorry but i don't have any contact info..

personally...i found the teachers at my school immensely helpful in getting me settled...and as most banks and government agencies have english speaking peope working there....i have never had a problem getting anything done
arju

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: help buddy Reply with quote

Hi re help in hong kong I agree with scott hong kong is pretty easy to manage as there are so many expats the locals are set up to cater for us banks are a breeze and quicker to get accounts than oz.
Your school will have a set senior english teacher who will work close with you for the 2 years and this person will help answer all you ??? and go with you to help get a bank acc gas water electricty a flat , my sets are great and help all the time . the biggest thing to worry about is the apartment as it takes a lot of viewing to work out what style location layout price etc you want, spend a month looking about and you will get a feel for it if possible once you have found an apartment then ask the set to help reduce the price if they feel comfortable not all people like this we were lucky as the real estate agent wanted our deal and helped to reduce the price in order to get the commission as we had viewed 40 apartments and we were wearing out the agent!!!
best of luck
Roger

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting to HK is not difficult as it is both Western and Eastern. If you are an outdoors person then HK is for you, and if you are a city buff then HK is for you too! There are many churches and temples of most faiths.
I did find certain Western institutions such as the YMCA and the YWCA extremely helpful even though I never became a member. And on Sundays the many Filippinas in Central or the Indoesians in Causeway Bay add colour and human warmth to an otherwise cold human environment.
Yes, I must say that HK Chinese are unbearably arrogant, cold and downright rude. It is a generalisation that does not include many exceptions among them; let's face it though: the commuters on the MTR and the users of lifts in high-rises are unbelievably uncivilised, and you will notice that!
But knowing a place where you are among your people with similar intersts and outlooks helps a lot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: