Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French-speaking countries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardasmith

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: French-speaking countries Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a newly qualified TESOL teacher looking for my first overseas job. I speak very rusty French and am looking for work in a French-speaking African country in order to relearn the language. I've looked in all the usual places (this website etc) but can't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?
bnix

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Hint:You Are Not Finding Anything,Because There IS Nothing Reply with quote

Ask any of the vets in this business...(scot47 comes immediately to mind).WHY do newly cetified teachers think they can blithely go ANYWHERE in the world and teach?There are some places in the world where there are NO opportunities(or very,very few).In Europe,these include places like Scandinavia,Malta,Switzerland,etc.

You are not finding places to teach in French-speaking Africa...because basically there are NO places....most of these countries are very poor...they cannot afford the luxury of paying teachers.This goes for many countries in Africa,not just the French-speaking parts.

I am not being unreasonable...if you are looking for jobs in French speaking Africa you are going to have a HARD time...about the only possibility is Morocco...which does have some paying jobs( I do not know of any specific ones,though).You can essentially forget about getting any kind of a PAYING job teaching English in francophone countries such as Mauritania,Senegal,Cameroon,Burkina Faso,Gabon.etc.Incidentally,i have lived and worked in Africa(but not teaching English).

If you are not worried about the money so much...you could always try volunteering with VSO(an organization which,in my opinion is a little "shaky")Since you are UK,I guess the Peace Corps is not an option for you.

I am not trying to be nasty.Just telling you the truth.You are going to have an extremely difficult time finding a PAYING job in francophone Africa.Look at other options,too.Why does it have to be a francophone country?You have to be realistic about where you want to teach in this business...just ask any vet like scot 47.Nevertheless,best of luck to you. Smile
richardasmith

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the use of CAPITAL letters to EMPHASISE your point. Why are YOU blithely assuming that I'm assuming I can go anywhere in the world to teach? I was asking for a little advice not lecture. Maybe I don't necessarily want a paying job......?

Anyway, thanks for the rest of your reply.

Rich
M@tt

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you British or do you just happen to be in the UK now? If you are American there are several ways to go there through other organizations, which are paying. Let me know if you're interested. Sorry I have no information on opportunities for British folks.
Best of luck
xnihil

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richardsmith,

Despite his use (or overuse) of capitals, Bnix has good advice. Morocco may be just the place for you. With no experience whatsoever I was hired by ALC in Rabat by Gary Butzbach (he requires a personal interview before hiring you though, and I don't think he goes to the UK). I ended up not taking the job so I can't give you the inside scoop on anything but I do know that he does most of his hiring in the early spring/late winter period, although you should still check with him in case he has any last minute cancelations. I'm sure there are other places to look at (I woudn't expect to save any money on a morocco salary but you'll be able to pay the bills).

Best of luck
M@tt

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Africa Reply with quote

I'd like to add Tunisia to the list of definite maybes in francophone Africa. There is a branch of AMIDEast there that hires English teachers from abroad, and from my experience interviewing with them it would be a great place to work. By many accounts, Tunisia is the most westward-leaning Arab country, if that makes a difference to you. There are also ~10 branches of the ALC in Morocco as well as some universities who all hire English teachers. The ALC page is www.aca.org.ma. If it's non-Arab francophone Africa you want, ... I don't know. Your best bets are probably Senegal or Cote d'Ivoire. I have no idea how realistic either of them is, though.

I'm not sure if we can post organizations' websites like that so if the ALC's doesn't appear in the message, just send me a PM.
M@
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are British you should try the British Council or VSO.
Another posibility is Equatorial Guinea. But the jobs pay well there, so it may not be easy to find a job.

Brooks
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Francophone Africa Reply with quote

Equatorial Guinea is not Francophone. The European language used there is Spanish. Guinea is francophone. Guinea Bissau uses Portuguese.

I agree with bnix. Jobs teaching English in francophone Africa are few and far between. You might be lucky, but you will probably find a lot of competition.
This is not being negative. It is being realistic, just like my answer to the guy who thinks the DRC needs his services as an EFL teacher.

Tunisia is definitely possible. So is Morroco. What about Lebanon ? (okay I know it is not in Africa)

But the world is NOT your oyster. When that guy was selling you the TEFL Cert did he tell you the TRUTH about the international job market ? (Sorry about the capitals).
Anne Stevens

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: La francophonie et Certified teachers: no answers here Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to add my grain de sel to this discussion.
Francophonie: as you may notice, very few (if any Francophones) participate in those discussions.
Don't listen to them all: there are jobs out there, but you may not find anybody willing to give you any hints or discuss those issues at ESL Cafe or anywhere on the Web at that ...

Ask yourself: I am certified, I make 30-50 000 [dollars/Euros - whatever] in my own country, why on earth should i go to China to get SARS and no money? go to Africa for less than i make here [x location]? participate in forums (why?)?

The insiders'circles are not ESL Cafe or Let's Go and you don't find jobs through a Career Center either.

Good Luck.

Anne Stevens
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: francophonia Reply with quote

Anne

Maybe I am suffering from doughnut deficiency again, but I am having problems understanding what you are trying to say.
richardasmith

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. All very interesting and helpful. Keep them coming!
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: who are the francophones ? Reply with quote

Anne
How can you tell whether someone is a francophone from his post. Do you expect them to post here in French ?
Anne Stevens

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: who (where) are the francophones ? Reply with quote

I could give you the long version/here is the short one:

1- Yes, you can tell a Francophone from his post, in deed, you can tell a Francophone 5 or 1000 miles away:come on, you know that . Especially if they are not posting in French Smile
2- I have seen a few posts which were obviously written by Francophones those last couple of years (i think i was already checking those sites before 2000; I can check the date - ESL Cafe has changed on the way, obviously)
3- I also have posted a couple of messages myself over the years; i have had a few ( a dozen responses? one French)
4- Btw, nobody (nobody) has bothered to give me the info i requested [hello, Rabat?]
5- i also know of some sites (or individuals), which (who)may be helpful. But, i have come to think that people who are really looking for great jobs, who teach abroad and make big bucks are not found around those sites. As to people who have great jobs ...

Feel free to E-mail me privately for any more info/suggestion/hints, etc.

Anne Stevens
[email protected]

Albulbul wrote:
Anne
How can you tell whether someone is a francophone from his post. Do you expect them to post here in French ?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xnihil

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: who (where) are the francophones ? Reply with quote

Anne Stevens wrote:
4- Btw, nobody (nobody) has bothered to give me the info i requested [hello, Rabat?]

If you're talking to me, reread my post. I did not take the job in Rabat (moved to Lebanon instead) and I'm now in the states (until august when I go to Egypt. Very Happy
Anne Stevens

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: if you are not talking ... who (where) are the Reply with quote

no, i am not talking to you?
why should i be talking to you:-)

If i were, i would tell you, nini Smile

xnihil wrote:
Anne Stevens wrote:

If you're talking to me, reread my post. I did not take the job in Rabat (moved to Lebanon instead) and I'm now in the states (until august when I go to Egypt. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: