Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More absurd job offers..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: More absurd job offers.. Reply with quote

I see a London school is offering 15.5K per annum for, it would appear, 37.5 contact hours a week. Three three hour lessons per day with half an hour break within each. I may be misreading the ad, but with those hours do they expect lesson planning as well?

The above salary is less than a bright office junior can get in London, so who on earth do they get to fill these jobs?
leeroy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I earn less than 15k a year (I'll be getting a job in a pub shortly to supplement my income!). But, 37 contact hours - that's a lot.
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeroy,

My earnings were a lot less than 15 k too, but I did very few hours. My alternative top-up work is in a hostel which at �7.5 ph certainly pays better than most pub work.

If you ever over-pay on tax which is easily done if you work various jobs all under the tax threshhold can I recommend the IR on-line service which brought me a refund within 2 days at the end of the last financial year. Much needed I can tell you..
leeroy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sue - my local IR office know me well... Wink
Will.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw one for 11.5k
Split shift
9-12
3-6
M-F

don't all rush at once
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will. wrote:
I just saw one for 11.5k
Split shift
9-12
3-6
M-F

don't all rush at once

Ideal for the bored housewife/husband type who wants to tell their friends that they do a bit of voluntry work but needs some pocket money for the * habit.

* insert drinking, gambling or other vice.
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the problem can be summed up quite easily with two words: 'free market'.
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it Russell, bored housepersons don't want to work 25 contact hours a week and work every day plus feel exploited at the same time.

There must be somebody who takes these jobs, but who? Is it people who want a bit of experience before they move on? Transient Aussies and Canucks in London have more sense and work in ski shops or bars or decent paying temporary office jobs.

The history of labour relations shows that taking what the bosses want to give you is not a good idea, and that worker solidarity has a lot in it's favour, not the least trying to make so-called 'market forces' work in an equitable way.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 hours a week is not necessarily how it works out. The jobs often get shared between people who are bored. I know a few retired sorts who like to get out the house to meet people - they'd do it for nowt probably. The answer is let them get on with it and ignore such ads.
Will.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
It looks like we are all back and ready in time for September.
I have been keeping up with the jobcentre offers recently and am surprised to see offers for ESOL teacher/ English teacher/EFL teacher on their website and in the office itself on the jobpoint machines.
The jobs are offered by the standard X school of English but also by peripheral organisations and groups who seem to be getting organised enough to claim funding and receive free classes for their members.
All well and good.
The wages offered have ranged between �5 and �12 an hour, the average being 6-8 an hour.
Ther are some organisations out there that undertake the 'training' of 'volunteers' while gaining on the job experience. This means working for free! this can last anywhere up to a year and then you receive payment after you undertake a C&G/4704 which you can take before doing all the work for free!!!
Who does it? I have met some older 'settled' people who felt they were helping the community and were spirited enough to give it a go in order to get a paid job for later on in life. Generally speaking the recruitment is at a local level and of local people 'out of the loop' unaware of the value of their skills and as Russ pointed out "bored" but mainly in it for a few hours a week to meet people and tell their friends about it.
Most of these cheapo jobs are for only 4-6 hours weekly but there are quite a few of them so someone must be leaving the job for pastures new and the search is on for more people to do them or there is a demand for these older types who have no formal training but did receive a good grounding in English at school and are able to pass on that information.
I am sure you can think of someone you know who fits the bill.
All these part-time hours add up to quite a few full-time jobs.
I am getting around to the question of who checks these 'schools' out. and how they are regulated. AND how much more work would be available for us 'proper' teachers were they to be removed from the equation.
Can of worms?
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Will - just had an enlightening shufti at the jobs web site. Bognor Regis (within 15 miles) , GBP 450 a month for 15 hours a week = �6.97 an hour. Plus of course no job security or anything else for that matter.

Can of worms - more like my compost heap which is a seething mass of them!

Sue
AgentMulderUK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard issue teaching jobs in Japan are about 15k pounds.....

And people seem to think thats ok??!

Except for me, because I am a complaining cynical g*t
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned a few times it comes down to supply & demand but in this case mostly supply. The demand is dependent on external factors. The only ways for us to drive our wages up as teachers are:

encourage the highest level of regulation, this is happening slowly but the cowboys will still exist and 'volunteers' will still work for something interesting to do;

join an organisation where the workforce is unionised, believe me it helps;

get QTS, then you are much more valuable when the inspector comes knocking on the school's door.
mb2086

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also about having no recognised body to look after our interests. The NUT in Britain don't recognise us because we don't have QTS (qualified teacher status).
Will.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have QTS, so do many of the posters here and my colleagues at work.
I am also a union member of Natfhe.
Many of us are not so fortunate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: