Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

accommodation in Oman

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowfax

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: accommodation in Oman Reply with quote

Could anyone please give me an idea on the range of cost of housing for a married couple without children? I am thinking in terms of a clean and pleasant apartment in a salubrious area.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather a vague request - do you have a city in mind? Do you have a job? (without a residence visa, I doubt that you would be able to rent) Do you want to live anywhere near it? Price depends to a certain extend on how salubrious you want it and how picky you are about your neighbors. Smile

In Muscat, you should be able to get a decent unfurnished flat for about 200 OR. (US$500+) You would need to provide your own AC and appliances.

VS
Mystic Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veiled Sentiments, or other helpful people out there,

Would you happen to have any idea of the kind of accomodation I should expect to find in Salalah, preferably furnished and of course in what price range? Also, for those of you who know Salalah, what areas should I be focusing on?

Mystic
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mystic,

Afraid I'm pretty useless for this one. I never even made it down that far - even in my two stints there in Oman. I am sorry to say that I don't even know anyone who has lived down there. Anything else I say would be pure speculation, so I will just go away and hope someone with better knowledge appears. Embarassed

VS
carnac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: accommodation in Oman Reply with quote

shadowfax wrote:
Could anyone please give me an idea on the range of cost of housing for a married couple without children? I am thinking in terms of a clean and pleasant apartment in a salubrious area.

Given the parameters of "clean" and "pleasant", if you will be in the Muscat area, I can recommend the Medinat as Sultan Qaboos district generally.It's fairly upscale, has good shopping, movies, decent living. Not the cheapest; you get what you pay for, as with anywhere in the world. Tiny one-bedroom place will run around 150 rials, about USD375 or so per month. Good place to start looking: W.J.Towell & Co., LLC, 600562 or 603656. Big rental place; has just about anything you want. Best bet: say that you are looking in the vicinity of Medinat Sultan Qaboos Al Fair (local supermarket catering to expats). Area is near the big highway. Avoid living in Ruwi area. Traffic, noise, crowded, dirty, not pleasant. Best is Medinat as Sultan Qaboos. Use it as starter place until you discover where else you might like to be. Safe, clean, quiet.
Best wishes...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Madinet Qaboos. Lived just across from the old Al-Fair, but they tore my building down to build some luxury villas, I hear. Great neighborhood though -- one of the few neighborhoods where you can walk to good shopping and restaurants. Towell's office is right in the shopping area of the neighborhood.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: