Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saudization?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Cat

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Saudization? Reply with quote

Some friends of mine still working in KSA report that the government is finally taking drastic action to Saudify the work force. They say that no work visas are being renewed. Now, they don't work in TESOL and I would expect teachers to be exempt from this exclusion, but you never know. Is the Saudization push affecting teachers at places like Aramco, KFUPM, and the IPA?

-Tom
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Arabized rather Reply with quote

Dear Tom Cat,
I can only answer for the IPA, but here I suppose it could be said that we've been increasingly " Arabized " over the past few years. About 1/4 of our staff now are from various Arab countries, North African, mostly. But this, I think, is more the result of not being able to hire " native speakers " rather than any " Arabization " policy. By the way, these guys are good teachers, too. They know their stuff and are excellent colleagues.
Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: localization Reply with quote

Saudiization ( no one knows how to spell it) has been the goal of the government here for a long time. There are Saudi teachers of English who, like teachers anywhere, vary in competence. But generally speaking, if a Saudi national has good enough English to teach he can get a better job doing something else. Teaching is not a favourite choice of young Saudi males when asked what they want to do.

For Saudi females it is different since there are restricted opportunities in the job market.

I would say foreigners will be safe in EFL here for a while, but this is a land of surprises !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: