Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Interesting Facts: Just For Fun!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
once again

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know...that pigs are amongst the foremost practitioners of tantric sex exercises.

Did you know that there are now reported cases of pigs making vast sums of money out of teaching tantric sex exercises.

Did you know..that there are now many Texans, who upon learning that their fish fetishes are illegal are now hitting on lonely pigs and saying." I've got a Cod piece that is going spare, are you free"

There are now many pigs using the phrase "If you've got the time, I 've got the inclination, which is what tantric sex is all about. It's all in the angles my friend"

Did you know that the divorce rate among previously happy pig families is now rocketing.

Did you know that the main co respondent cited in the divorce cases is " He was tall and wearing a stetson and spoke about not wanting to beat a fish around the bush. But other than that all humans look the same to me"

Did you know that there are SOOO many Texan lawyers taking up these cases and seeking the death penality.

Did you know that there is now a website that is entitled www.swine is fine, now try mine.com

Did you know it was all started by a post on a website for teachers????
Jojo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHaHa!! Razz
Jojo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: More Interesting Facts for the English Language Teacher Reply with quote

English Language Useless Facts

The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

"I am." is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

Shakespeare invented the word "assassination" and "bump."

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with

The word "lethologica" describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want.

TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

The word racecar and kayak are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left. Can you think of any others?

The longest word in the English language is 1909 letters long and it refers to a distinct part of DNA.

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

There are only four words in the English language which end in "- dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.

"a man a plan a canal panama"

spelled backwards is still

"a man a plan a canal panama"

Something, to think about.. Enjoy!!
Wink
guest of Japan

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcaniconeosis = black lung. My spelling may be slightly incorrect.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: I'm a stupid white guy! Reply with quote

Dear once again:

wickedly funny stuff! Thank you as well for those additional pig-facts. Very Happy

Jojo: Your post about English language oddities is so good I'm printing it out to use in class next week. It is exactly this kind of seemingly silly stuff that brings life ... and a smile ... into ANY classroom. Thanks for the cool tidbits!

Happy WeEkeNd,
kEnt
R

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the BBC news website:

6. Also next week is Mike the Headless Chicken Day, celebrating the life and prolonged death of a rooster who lost his head in September 1945, but continued running around for 18 months. His owner fed the bird through its neck, using an eyedropper. Scientists worked out that the axe had missed Mike's jugular vein and that a blood clot had prevented it bleeding to death. Most of its brain stem was left on its body, and Mike continued trying to peck and preen as if nothing had happened. The event will be commemorated in his hometown, Fruita, Colorado.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Jojo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed Kent and Thank you for starting the interesting fun facts thread Very Happy
richard ame

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: You mean there's more of this to come Reply with quote

Hi fellow triva fans
This is only the beggginning (yes I know thats not how to spell it ) find triva .com or other related websites this thread is gonna run and run .
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Part II ? Reply with quote

Hello guest of Japan:

Please remind me to stay out of those damned coal mines. I'd hate like hell to catch a disease I couldn't spell or pronounce. Very Happy

Thanks also to "R", for the touching story of Mike the Headless Chicken. I suggest we all bow our heads in a moment of silence ... before continuing with Part II of this thread.

InTriviaWeTrust,
KENt
MissMolly

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Just a few more Reply with quote

Arrow A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

Arrow The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.

Arrow Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realise what is occurring, relax and correct itself.

Arrow Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.

Arrow 101 Dalmatians and Peter Pan (Wendy) are the only two Disney cartoon features with both parents that are present and don't die throughout the movie.

Arrow 'Stewardesses' is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

Arrow To escape the grip of a crocodile's jaws, push your thumbs into its eyeballs - it will let you go instantly.

Arrow Reindeer like to eat bananas.

Arrow The word "samba" means "to rub navels together."

Arrow Mel Blanc (the voice of Bugs Bunny) was allergic to carrots.

Arrow The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

Arrow A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Arrow It was discovered on a space mission that a frog can throw up. The frog throws up its stomach first, so the stomach is dangling out of its mouth. Then the frog uses its forearms to dig out all of the stomach's contents and then swallows the stomach back down again.

Arrow Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
R

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere there's a towerblock with a lot of furry bloodstains on the pavement outside... the joy of science! Smile
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Good Golly MissMolly! Reply with quote

Dear MissMolly:

Thank you for your contribution of funny and creepy facts! Very Happy

I loved the one about the first allied bomb killing the only elephant at the Berlin Zoo. Talk about precision guided munitions. Too bad elephants can't jump; He might have saved himself with a hop to the left. (see original post on page 1 for details)

Warm wishes,
kENt

PS: I used several of these posts in my upper-intermediate class last night and it was a big HIT. People love this stuff. One student wanted to know how they measured the length of a pig's orgasm. I was stumped.
MissMolly

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kent!
According to my scientific advisor, a pig's orgasm would be best measured through the use of electromagnetic sensors attached to the organ in question. Probably should wear gloves, no? Wink
Molly
R

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much, um, fluid is produced in that half an hour?
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: next topic please! Reply with quote

Ok People:

I think it's time to change the subject. I was fully satisfied with MissMolly's electromagnetic sensors explanation.

So ... how about some interesting weather facts and trivia?? Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: