Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROS and CONS about having a Russian boyfriend -
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaneth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has tea drinking become, at times, something of an onerous obligation for any of you? Has an inability to drink anything cold or instant manifested itself in any of your significant others?

Does the quick trip to the toilet to dump the old tea leaves seem a little weird? Anyone?

Maybe I should take some notes on the stuff Russian guys do so I can try it out on my wife. The smelly honey-based ointment things sound promising. Maybe I'm too western for her. I never get her flowers, but I don't think she's into the dead plant thing. We never go anywhere on buses together so I can't help her out. She definitely gets the pleasure of seeing me lug ridiculously large loads of things around by backpack (live in a village, no car). I wear the scarf she knit me. It's a start at least.

Wow, now I'm making myself homesick.

What about food and cooking. Any weird habits, requirements, tastes?
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black tea with raspberry jam in it? Shocked

Who still finds that one weird?
zaneth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first came to Russia I brought some home made jam as a gift for my host. I was a bit surprised when they opened it and started in with spoons. No bread, nothing.

Yeah, the jam in tea surprised me at first, but I like it. Makes perfect sense. And it looks cool when it is dissolved and swirling around. Reminds me of miso soup.

I'm amazed at how un-scared of sour cream Russian women are. I've seen American women react with horrified expressions at being offered real sour cream. They might eat low fat cottage cheese or something. My Russian mother-in-law puts sour cream on her cottage cheese (and she's not fat).
Castro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Old Women in Russia � "Babushkas" � Who Are They? Reply with quote

Hi, jpvanderwerf2001,

You were wondering:
Wow. What is with this phenomenon?! How is it possible that these gorgeous women end up as the babushka? I would try to find the "missing link" between jaw-dropping 18-30 year olds and babushkas.
Any sightings of the fabled CIS "missing link"?

I guess this day 30-year-old Russian woman won�t be the babushka. No, she is definitely able to give a birth notwithstanding the fact that she would want to sit on the ground. But the connotation of the word will vanish from the face of the Russia.

Just in case you haven�t read this:
They grew up during the hard times of the war and never miss a chance to remind people about that.
http://waytorussia.net/WhatIsRussia/Women/Babushkas.html

I knew some babushka who went through fire and water and survived Great War as well as second one and two Russian revolutions. I hope this world is not such a freak globe anymore.
Although it seems to me it�s a balloon not far from fire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: