Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i just want an honest answer...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ All of the past three schools that I have worked at here have had the same problem with teachers (all from the USA, altho none were door knockers, they were all happy clappies of one type or another). All the God botherers were told they were perfectly welcome to bother God on their own time but were not welcome to bother students with their beliefs. All of them promised not to do it anymore. All of them continued on their 'mission'. All of them were fired. All the schools now have a conversion clause in the contract (it states that teachers are not permitted to attempt to convert students, staff or other teachers to their political or religious beliefs). And that is in Warsaw, a place which attracts far fewer nutters than Czech republic!
e_jorgensen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Prauge in the summer of 2000 getting my TEFL before I moved on to China. While I was there, I was approached by 2 Czech missionaries and we just had a conversation. They invited me to play minature golf so I went out with them. Basicly, they were just trying to be friendly....after a few years thought, I got to thinking. Missionary work isn't that much different from any other type of representation. Missionaries represent Jesus Christ. Some other people represent other things. Like there was this one teacher that I knew, he would always go out to bars, smoke, drink and have sex with multiple partners...after a while, he made new friends, and some of those friends started to act just like him, they even started to drink the same kind of beer. (This was in China).

Anyway, I think I've learned that teachers have very powerful influence. Why critisize missionaries who represent Jesus Christ when you yourself represent your own values and models just as much as they do? Why is it ok for you to represent your values by your example, yet it is not ok for Christians to do the same? Hypocrites!
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone! Twisted Evil
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sympathy until I read the religious converting bit.

Don't come anywhere near the PRC to teach - you will be kicked out.

Religious proselytising is banned in China, rightly in my view.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: this christian thing Reply with quote

Honey you sure stirred up a minor hornets nesthere, I think someone gave you a bit of friendly advice about sponsership from others who have a similar belief to your self ,that to me at least makes some sense .
Your ( for want of an apt word) "crusade" is going to be full of problems consider that just the teaching side is going to give you a few headaches you add to that extra family members as well and then a cartload of religious baggage and dogma ,good luck darling you are going to need it .Bear in mind as well that American citizens are not exactly the flavour of the month presently. Don't get me wrong here I'm a fellow christian too (well sometimes) but really it seems to me this is going to be a lose lose situation for you and your relatives .
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will admit to a strong negative feeling about Christian missionaries in general, but I am particularly interested as to why people feel it appropriate to proselytize in countries like the Czech republic, where Christianity was practiced long before America even existed.

Would you feel it appropriate to become a missionary in England? What message exactly are you trying to bring?

Allow me my doubts as to whether missionaries 'represent Jesus Christ'. I'm not sure if that could even be said of the Bible...
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxwing wrote:
I will admit to a strong negative feeling about Christian missionaries in general, but I am particularly interested as to why people feel it appropriate to proselytize in countries like the Czech republic, where Christianity was practiced long before America even existed.

Would you feel it appropriate to become a missionary in England? What message exactly are you trying to bring?

Allow me my doubts as to whether missionaries 'represent Jesus Christ'. I'm not sure if that could even be said of the Bible...

Its interesting and really strange. When I lived in Korea, I was somewhat regularly meeting Christian Koreans even approaching westerners trying to convert them. Its weird.
Aramas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only a historical accident that religious fundamentalism is not recognised as a mental illness. If you want to teach English, then teach English. If you want to preach, then preach. If you want to do both then get a job at a religious school where the parents know what they're getting. If you were trying to corrupt my children with your dogmatic drivel then I would make your life extremely unpleasant - woman or not. Words would be wasted on you. You have eyes, but can't see. You have ears, but can't hear.

How do you think a Catholic foreigner would do trying to convert their students in Alabama? That's more or less what you're proposing. Fortunately for you, the civilised world tends to be somewhat more tolerant of nutters than the US is. However, if you proceed then you deserve any harrassment or ridicule that you and your family might face.

Seducing students is BAD, Hm-kay? - whether it's for sex, politics or religion is irrelevent.

As guests in a foreign country it is our duty to adapt with tolerance and sensitivity - not theirs. Leave your baggage behind. You never know, you might learn how to live without your crutch.
Canasian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to the Czech Republic, but I feel that you should do whatever you want ha'anala. I may not agree with what your purpose of "converting a few people cuz their easy to lead" bit, but I wish nothing but the best of luck to you and your family. Figure out what you want to do and do it.

All of these posts about proselytizing made me think of this:

Quote:
Born again christians, preachers from the suburbs
Tryin to save souls on broadway, they got some nerve
Comin here unaware that the ones with no material gifts
Sometimes are the most spiritually rich

- Chain Link, Brother Ali

Just some food for thought.
lily

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to second all the people that suggested finding work in a Christain school, that seems like a really good idea. If you don't, be aware that you NEVER take off your teachers hat. Even if you only talk about religion with them in your home / at church, they will always see you as their teacher, even outside of the classroom or school. And might just have more influence on them than someone who is only missionary. I just felt this is an important point to make.

I personally can't stand those who try to convert others through subversive means, or those who talk down to you because you are not Christain (I'm not). But, you seem to have good intentions with what you want to do, and I applaud you for that. I wish there were more Christians like you in the world. Just be aware and sensitive to those around you.

Good luck.

Lily
shuize

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to echo the post above about be the object of attempted convertion in Asia. It's very odd.

Several years ago, after just arriving at a new job in rural Japan, my J-wife answered the door to a Japanese Jehova's witness looking for me. Apparently this guy had looked up the names of all the foreign teachers in the area and was driving around trying to convert them. Nevermind my Japanese wife. He had no interest in her.

Trying to be polite, I told him "I'm on my lunch break so I don't really have time to talk to you."

His response: "But I've driven a long way."

Me: "So? If you can't take the hint, I'll spell it out for you. I have no interest in your religion. If you didn't want to be disappointed about driving far, maybe you should have called ahead."

Please keep religion out of the classroom. It's even more annoying than door-knockers.
osakajojo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've read that a large portion of the population consider themselves atheists, and coming from the Bible belt of America is going to be a dramatic difference.

I have grown up in the bible belt- deep in the heart of it. It was the biggest relief in the world for me to go to countries that don't have a church on every corner. I have visited Prague twice and luckily I hung out with Czech people more than foreigners while I was there. The Czech people that I met were really cool. Come to think of it, I didn't talk religion with anybody while I traveled through Europe for 3 months. Why? Because you don't talk religion with people that you meet. Especially in the classroom! In the 3,840 classes I taught in Japan, Christianity was brought up one time, and I put a stop to that real quick.
I was surprised to discover your true intentions of going to the Czech Republic and have agreed with some of the other posts- You should check into working at a church and teaching english from there. I know an American(surprise surprise) that works at a church that offers free english lessons in exchange for an open ear about Christianity. Atleast the students she is preaching to goes there by choice, even though it's the free lessons and pizza that draw them there.
osakajojo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've read that a large portion of the population consider themselves atheists, and coming from the Bible belt of America is going to be a dramatic difference.

I have grown up in the bible belt- deep in the heart of it. It was the biggest relief in the world for me to go to countries that don't have a church on every corner. I have visited Prague twice and luckily I hung out with Czech people more than foreigners while I was there. The Czech people that I met were really cool. Come to think of it, I didn't talk religion with anybody while I traveled through Europe for 3 months. Why? Because you don't talk religion with people that you meet. Especially in the classroom! In the 3,840 classes I taught in Japan, Christianity was brought up one time, and I put a stop to that real quick.
I was surprised to discover your true intentions of going to the Czech Republic and have agreed with some of the other posts- You should check into working at a church and teaching english from there. I know an American(surprise surprise) that works at a church that offers free english lessons in exchange for an open ear about Christianity. Atleast the students she is preaching to goes there by choice, even though it's the free lessons and pizza that draw them there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: