Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

worst pay in Germany
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: worst pay in Germany Reply with quote

i've just seen 11.50 Euros offered for a 45 minute session and i've heard about 10 Euro per 45 minutes. Any advance on 10 Euros per lesson? Rolling Eyes
sherrymole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, how does that compare to pay at other types of jobs in Germany?
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have pointed out that these hourly rates are for freelance work, so one is responsible for ones own tax and insurance contributions.
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: and more... Reply with quote

In addition to the low pay, paying one's own pension contribution and health insurance there's the transport costs (because we don't know how FAR the abysmally paid job is away from home), the lost wages during transport time, the copies needed to be made and paid for out of one's own pocket AND very probably odd hours with great gaps in between where no other work is possible.

How does this compare to other jobs in Germany? There are no other 'freelance' jobs in Germany that pay worse and other low-level employed positions (read McDonalds, etc.) get half the pension and health insurance paid.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Please Sir, can I have some more? More!!! Reply with quote

This is not Thailand's forum, but I just know how much teachers get there and how much stuff costs.

11.50 Euro is 584 baht.

Who is paying this pittance in Germany?

You might just survive on that in Thailand where a decent lunch would set you back about 1 Euro. If you did 30 hours a week on this in Germany, you'd be grossing 1495 Euros a month, don't spend it all at once.

I'm going to open my own Western Union franchise in some DDR backwater for teachers getting this money. They must have rich parents out there somewhere. Any suggestions on where to open, which German backwater?

I just read Rich Dad Poor Dad. It was way over my head but I liked the bit about low-paid workers:

Quote:
They're not being exploited, they're exploiting themselves
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe threads which name these teaching institutes are removed, but there are certain sites out there where you can see job offers from the usual suspects. Here is the "compensation":

"Compensation:
Freelance contract.
Pay 11,50� per 45 minute lessons.
Guarantee of a minimum 300 lessons for the first 3 months of contract.
1200� bonus on completion of contract.
Help finding reasonably priced accommodation.
A freelancer is responsible for his own tax and insurances."

I particularly loved this little gem.

"The main advantage for working with us is that we are teachers ourselves and understand what our students and teachers need."

PMSL Laughing
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just received an offer of 10.50 euros per hour (45 mins)!

Hod, i've been saying to my girlfriend for months now that whoever takes on these jobs must have rich parents!
I know of one institute (which can be currently found on tefl.com with the usual suspects), which prefers to take on backpackers (who are armed with daddys american express) and which encourages it's EU employees to "travel home every few months for treatment to avoid having to pay for health insurance" Rolling Eyes
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: low pay Reply with quote

Ah... I just saw the advert. Yes, tefl.com do get the great ones, eh?

No one should ever teach in Germany for 11 Euro per hour unless:
1. they are independently wealthy
2. have daddy's AMEX card as a backup
3. are "Willy in Japan" and come with enough money that they simply want to tread water while improving their German or getting in touch with their "roots"

BUT, please do think about this: when you're taking teaching work at 11 Euro per hour, you are helping to keep the pay low on these stupid job offers here! If you don't "need" the money, please consider applying to McDonald's (minimal German required) and not for a teaching slot. Let those "schools" go begging until they get an idea to raise the compensation! Mad
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: where? Reply with quote

Quote:
I just read Rich Dad Poor Dad. It was way over my head but I liked the bit about low-paid workers:

Save me some time, Hod...where was this post?
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.richdad.com

It's a book telling one how to get rich.
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats nothing, a lad at our school used to have a new dad every weekend! Laughing
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They call them "uncles" in the U.S. Laughing
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hod! I could use some information on how to get rich. I'll have to pop over there later.

How were the hols? Back at work now? I see you've been made mod on ajarn. Congrats - they must love you. Razz
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: oh Reply with quote

Hod the mod is no more on ajarn Sad

Hols were great thanks.

How can I say this without sounding arrogrant: Just had 3 weeks hols in SE Asia, the whole holiday was over 1500 UK pounds, but I'm going again at Xmas. That book Rich Dad Poor Dad should include a chapter, well a sentence really:

Get out of Germany now!

(I'm skint right now mind Sad )
Willy_In_Japan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
No one should ever teach in Germany for 11 Euro per hour unless:
1. they are independently wealthy
2. have daddy's AMEX card as a backup
3. are "Willy in Japan" and come with enough money that they simply want to tread water while improving their German or getting in touch with their "roots"

Quote:

You don't have to be a dickhead with comments like this.

Im not 'getting in touch with my roots'. Im interested in becoming fluent in German. I have family there too, who I can't speak very well to.

I don't know what your problem is, but just because I am looking for something in the future that is 'good enough' doesn't affect you or your job in any way. I don't set the bar in Germany, nor do I tell you what to accept or not accept for compensation. If I was a dickhead, I would probably say what kind of loser works for such Peanuts in Germany? Come to Japan if you want to make a decent living teaching English. But then, I don't tell you what you should accept in Germany or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: