Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti-Semitism and Russia
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Castro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not quarrel with the facts, only with the meaning that you give them.
That's my right too. That's why I'm here. Whatever you may say there is no fact but only meaning. Remember Socrates and his point about knowledge. Whatever I may say there is no fact but only meaning.

He provoked and irritated. But didn't mean to.
But was like midwife who gives a birth to the next and opposite view against the stereotype.

As for "animal world" you mentioned I hope you know it through hearsay
but not saying it on behalf of an animal.

Let us not quarrel about such unimportant matters.
I see you put comma at last. That comma means you choose never-ending quarrel. It's up to you... But I am not so quick to take offence. I'd put it after second word because ancient Greeks already did this mistake.

I am not Aristotelian and do not believe in his logic (the same proposition cannot be at once true and false). Everything is true and false at once. It depends...

That's why I choose exchange of views.
I would not vie but try to see the truth.

P.S. As for the lost in translation. Read Paul de Man and Michael Bakhtin: you are lost in translation even if you speak to a native speaker.
bobs12

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in the name of blazes are you wittering on about woman?
Castro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: maieutic method Reply with quote

Hi, Bobs,

It employs the dialogue not only as a didactic device, but as a technique for the actual discovery of opinions amongst men, there are truths upon which all men can agree, Socrates proceeds to unfold such truths by discussion or by question and answer...
His method ... is often described as the maieutic method. It is the art of intellectual midwifery, which brings other men's ideas to birth. It is also known as the dialectical method or the method of elenchus.

http://www.str.org/free/studies/socratic.htm
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. We're all impressed.
Veritas_Aequitas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What in heaven's name are you guys talking about? This is supposed to be a discussion on anti-semetism but you guys went off on a tangent about something else! I feel discrimanated against already! Racists! lol.

what do you guys think if better between Moscow, and St. Petersburg in terms of friendliness, and job availability, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards,

VA
bobs12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: What in blazes? Reply with quote

Socrates was a bit before my time, shame he died such an untimely death. We'd undoubtedly have been best friends and I'm sure he'd have been my, er, midwife... In plain English he talks about things to find out what others think. Big deal. Judging by the tripe and backtracking that you're spewing out either his methods are not very effective or you need to kick the crack habit. I wish you all the best woman, we're definitely impressed.

VA- yes, sorry about that Embarassed happens here all the time. Not racism, I mean deranged lunatics come in, hijack a perfectly good question and then show off their 'English' by proceeding to verbally rape everybody in the vicinity with the kind of BS you usually get from a sedated heroin addict doing cold turkey.

Your question- I can't answer about Moscow (no doubt Castro will jump in here with some internet statistics to prove me wrong anyway, even though I made no statement) although I can presume that there will be more work and more money available there.

That said (my personal observation, no statistics please Castro) I'd say St. Petersburg is a much 'friendlier' place as you put it, and a much easier place to settle in on first arrival. Work is easy to find here in the winter months.

I've lived in both cities (no comment here Castro), Moscow for a couple of months, St. P for a couple of years. St. P. is just about a manageable size (don't start Castro) and is much more navigable than Moscow. Bear in mind that teaching with a school may well mean going off-site. In SPb they can't send you as far away as they can in Moscow Wink

Living expenses- although everyone immediately says Moscow is infinitely more expensive, there may not be such a huge difference. I have a feeling that the big difference is in entertainment prices. I think there were a few threads on that in here before.

I'm sorry, I should forget it, but this bit just cracks me up:

Quote:
As for "animal world" you mentioned I hope you know it through hearsay
but not saying it on behalf of an animal.

There can be no hiding behind Socrates to justify that kind of nonsense.
Castro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Veritas_Aequitas,

Actually, anti-Semitism is kind of intolerance to an alien, who is not that which is normally expected because of his/her outlook or outward. That happens to anyone in any country (ancient Greece too).

But, sorry, I went off at... Embarassed

As for anti-Semitism in Russia I think you would be interested in the latest book by Solzhenizin Russian & Jewish: 200 years side by side.
BTW, author of the Archipelago Gulag was accused of writing concealed anti-Semitic book. I guess since then anyone could be found guilty.
Anyway, there are a lot of "facts" to think about.

As for Pitter & Moscow, I guess there is some Russian stereotype about some special hearfulness in the "window to Europe" and already habitual harmfulness in the capital. That means people in Moscow are not friendly and even evil. People are too different. On the contrary Piter is predominantly intellectual city. Population in Moscow is almost 10 times more. That's why job availability is better.
Castro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: From Fidel with Love Reply with quote

Hello, Bobs,

I hope I am not a Fidel for you any longer.
Thanks for comma (sapienti sat).

P.S. I hope I am not a thank-offering.
But I'm just wondering can your charismatic personality write your masterpieces without insulting items. Seems like your inspiration needs to offer somebody in sacrifice.
bobs12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: All Jews are aliens Reply with quote

My dearest Castro,

I'm sorry, but I still do not understand a word you are saying. I am, however, grateful to you for ceasing the hostility. I'd hardly describe myself as charismatic, nor would I consider my writing worthy of the accolade 'masterpiece'.

Sacrifice only occurs when the lamb kicks the lion in the backside bleating 'e-e-eat me-e-e, e-e-at me-e-e', and when that happens I devour with pleasure. I am a civilised character and I do not wish to insult anybody. VA asked a simple question, and did not ask for a philosophical/academical/historical разборка of the subject.

I don't know how much social contact you've had, but try speaking to people on a human level. This is not sarcasm, all joking is now firmly aside and this is a friendly comment from one soul to another. People in the 21st century do not communicate in Latin, nor do they hold discussions using the protocol of ancient Greek philosophical theory. When they ask a simple question they usually need a simple answer. They also do not expect собеседники to analyse their statements for 'hidden meaning' that was never there in the first place. There are undoubtedly forums on the 'net where you can have such discussions with like-minded people, I just feel that this is not really the place for such lofty debating tactics. If your only reason for being here is to question the wisdom/meaning of everything I say, just go away and get a life.

PS- Please be more careful with your words, otherwise someone not so understanding of your shortcomings in English may be offended by your foolish carelessness.

Dear VA,

Betcha didn't know what anti-Semitism was until now, eh? That's you been put in your place, you Martian... I always wondered what skullcaps were for- it's to keep the antennae hidden, isn't it? Shocked Bloody hell, you learn something new every day, even from someone who sounds like they might have an IQ higher than that of Winnie Pooh. That's the kind of nonsense that I'm afraid Russia is full of- "it's not bare-faced ignorant bigotry- it's a reaction to someone who's different to you..." "It's not racially-motivated violence, it's beating up an alien..." The subtext is always that in these cases it's acceptable.

I should point out right now that while I am not an advocate of kid-glove political correctness, I am in favour of tact and politeness. And I despise bigotry and racial intolerance in all its forms, implicit or explicit. I'm afraid I can't be doing with anyone explaining anti-Semitism as a reaction to an 'alien'- since when were the Jews aliens? If one race/religion is 'alien', then every race/religion is equally alien.

Majorities are a dangerous thing, they obscure the view to the outside.

I was just waiting for the population statistic to come in there. Every forum should have its own know-all. I have a list of schools in SPb, it's not comprehensive by any means, and could probably do with a bit of updating. It's kicking around the web as well as somewhere on my old computer, I can dig it out if you're interested.

Best regards to all,

Bobs
Veritas_Aequitas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, and Fidel for the info. I don't know what other things you guys are talking about, but I'm sure its very interesting.

Sounds like St. Petersburg is cooler. Awesome. Life is so much easier when its not as complicated as it really is. I'm filled with internal contradictions like I hate cold weather, but only want to live in countries that have cold climates. Ain't that a bytch for me?

As far as the anti-semitism thing is concerned, I don't really care.

I remember when I was younger people said anti-jewish jokes, and teachers would chastise them, and go out of their way to placate me. Don't worry about it! Bust out all the anti-jewish jokes you want. I'm sure you guys know some since you live in Russia.

I think all people are equally or semi-equally savages. Except, that is, for friendly souls over the internet that help me out with my questions. Thanks again.
tbiehl2000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fascinated by Russia and its culture. I will be visiting St. Petersburg next month. I also hate cold weather but I just may suck it up for at least one winter. I was raised during the cold war and I guess I've always been curious about life behind the 'iron curtain".
One of my concerns about teaching English in Russia is not working in a place that will be conducive to my development as a teacher. I really want to be a good teacher. I'm reluctant to work at BKC for 550 a month and split shifts. I'm sure I'll figure it out.
bobs12

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as teaching goes, I have an interesting development on the way. Stay tuned.
rogatol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piter vs. Moskva

Prices: higher in Moscow
Salaries: higher in Moscow
Job opportunities: higher in Moscow
Entertainment: depends on preferences
Safety: hard question. St.P is commonly dubbed a criminal capital, however you stand equally nice chances of being robbed or beaten up out in any Moscow or St.Petersburg outskirts
Piter is surely better in terms of architecture, sights and culture attractions. There's also a definite "+" in local clubbing community which differs from that of Moscow. Yet, Moscow is a big-opportunity city - however not that compact and "comfy" as Pit.
Confederate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: From what I have seen Reply with quote

A lot of my students are from Israel, there are Russians whose families immigrated to Israel and have returned to Russia. I have worked with an African American teacher and a Native American teachers from the US and Canada. I do not think Russians are any more racist than some people in other countries, just from what I have seen first hand from my students and Russian people in general. Here is Moscow I tend to see more animosity toward people from the south of Russia than I have toward others.
yossibz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught in Moscow in 2002, and being Jewish is definitely an issue for some people. I don't volunteer the information, but when asked directly what my religion or "natsionalnost" is -- and some Russians DO ask, even in the classroom -- I always tell the truth. I could see the mental reassessment of me going on in some of my students' faces.

I didn't encounter any overt anti-semitism from Russians personally, but I also didn't do much socializing because I was older than most teachers and a total lightweight when it comes to drinking.

I felt obligated to "come out" as a Jew just to tell off a couple of British teachers who didn't know I was a Jew, and who were spouting conspiracy theories about Jews and 1)our control of the media, 2)our control of the US congress, 3)our having organized the destruction of the WTC. They were Leftists rather than skinhead types, BTW.

Another American teacher I knew who "looked Jewish" was strongly urged by a drunk Russian guy (in my presence) to make sure people knew she was Armenian. She seemed very embarrassed that it was an issue.

There is a strong nationalist movement in Russia which makes anti-Jewish statements in the media every now and then. There's also racist graffiti around, but these things didn't affect me directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: