Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOEFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: TOEFL Reply with quote

They put Neil Armstrong on the moon.They are responsible for the twentieth century technology boom.They can splatter countries in a matter of weeks....but don't forget,they also invented that abomination called the TOEFL test.Is there anybody in ELT who rates this test?Names and addresses on a postcard please.....to- This Exam Sucks,4 Can't anybody design a better test street,hopeless,SH1T 4ALL,USA.
Celeste

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a worse one- it's called TOEIC. Have you had a bad run in with the TOEFL recently? You sound rather impassioned on this subject.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: Celeste Reply with quote

I've been preparing a class for ages and it's becoming really dull.Maybe it's the Longman books we're using...any suggestions?
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: who are u? Reply with quote

Biffinbridge ?
Are you "itslatedoors" in a new guise ? Come clean !
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Cambridge Reply with quote

Dear biffinbridge,
All the prep books for TOEFL are pretty much the same, but I think the Cambridge one may be the best of the lot.
Regards,
John
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a really bad test? Go to Japan and try to prepare students for the Level 1 Eiken (Japanese Govt. English exam). One of my students brought me a copy of the test, and I amused myself for a few days by correcting the grammatical, syntatical and typographical errors.

I have no problem with the CAE, but why do they choose such boring essays for the reading comprehension section?
chuckie

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: a toe full of test Reply with quote

What is a good or bad test? Perhaps a test that does well what it was designed to do. In this case, TOEFL is an excellent test. It does predict well a student's ability to function in an English-based academic environment. That is all it is meant to do.

When teaching TOEFL it is iimportant to have a personal strategy for each person so they can monitor and work to improve their individual estimated score. Then it isn't so boring - and is in fact quite goal oriented and motivating. I can't think of anything more boring than teaching for these type tests in a generic way.

Baseline your students and have them set individual goals based on their strengths and needs from the diagnostic test. Often on tests like these - it is better first to strengthen the things the students are good at - you'll get a better jump in estimated scores - and build their confidence.

I know a lot of people complain about teaching these kinds of tests - but actually I like it as it is more goal-oriented that something like a very general "conversation" course - and the students are often much more motivated.

Just my garbled opinion early this a.m.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: oh great Reply with quote

and I think I got a job preparing students for this test!!! But then I have taught composition which many think is boring as well
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply to chuckie Reply with quote

Sounds great unless you're in the Middle East, your test dates constanly change and the company might not pay for them to study abroad anyway.Oh yeah,you've also got a large class with royalty in it........not much autonomy there.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic problem with external exams is that students and managers labour under the illusion that the best way to pass them is to take practise exams endlessly, instead of actually being taught.

And as doing what the punter wants is how you sell textbooks, then you get boring textbooks you have to follow.

Still if you think the TEOFL is bad, take a look at the KFUPM rubbish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: