Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homosexuals in ELT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeroy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Homosexuals in ELT Reply with quote

Is it just me, or is there a statistically above-average percentage of homosexuals involved in ELT?

(Disclaimer: I have no problem with gays, lesbians or whatever. This is simply a Social Science question)
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre way to phrase a question--first you ask if you are the only homosexual, then want to know if there is a statistically above-average percentage (how is average determined in a case such as this) of homosexuals teaching English as a language....

I don't know what you have been smoking, but you should be selling it--you'd make a heck of a lot more than you will as a teacher....
lagerlout2006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just you.

Wait a minute---what is ELT? If you mean ESL/EFL I dont think so. If you mean fruitcakes ie crazy people I would tend to say yes. I fear for the future of this industry ---I really do... Exclamation Wink
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industry? How many widgets are you producing in your EFL factory over there?

I fear for the present of the profession--with so many non-English speakers practising it....
leeroy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(edit: when I said "is it just me:" this does not mean "I am gay", it means "am I the only person that thinks this?"Rolling Eyes ..)

Woah - it was meant as a straightforward question... The only reason I ask is because (compared to other industries I've come into contact with) it seems that gay men and lesbians are much more open here (in the world of English Language Teaching, I mean). I'm not trying to get into a moral debate here, rather I am drunk and am sheerly interested in fuzzy statistics...

If you all would prefer then your can ignore my OP, or better yet, infer homophobia then blame me for being homophobic!

Ah sod it, I'll probably erase this tomorrow when I'm sober anyway. It was just something that caught my interest, that's all.... Have a nice day y'all
lagerlout2006

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeroy - dont worry. It just seemed like a funny question without anything sort of backing it up. And I think the opposite is true--that gays if anything are underrepresented. At least in terms of statistics from Canada,.,

As for moonrain who is not a Native speaker? The widget factory here hacks out all too many speakers of "English." Now if only they could read we would be all set.
leeroy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lagerlout - you're a ray of sunshine on an otherwise British day... Wink
moonraven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring--apparently with way too much subtlety--to the fact that many of you who contribute to this forum have very poor English skills. The posts on this thread indicate that communication--the ONLY legitimate use of language--is frequently subverted. That phenomenon has nothing to do with your being a native speaker--or not being a native speaker. It also does not have to do with being drunk or sober. I suspect it reflects lack of formal education? I hope that is all it reflects....
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moonraven

...your dismissal of the English skills of this board seems to reflect your own lack of knowledge of the nature of discourse and the fact that more than one form of discourse exists in the world

...the communication styles and choices that people use on this board are representative of a the sort of discourse used on message boards

...perhaps you should do some reading (I would recommend Gee...) or you get off your high literacy horse before you get hurt...falls from that sort of height occur often on this board and the fallen rarely get up
jeddahteacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a simple matter of fact, one encounters an enormous number of white homosexuals teaching EFL in my corner of the world. The absence of access to single females is not a problem for them.
Cheers,
JT
James_T_Kirk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it just me, or is there a statistically above-average percentage of homosexuals involved in ELT?

I haven't really noticed this. However, I come from the Library Science field, where about 65% of all individuals are homosexuals. While I like my gay friends, it is nice to be back in a field where I am no longer in the minority! Now, if there were only more women teachers in my area!

Quote:
I was referring--apparently with way too much subtlety--to the fact that many of you who contribute to this forum have very poor English skills. The posts on this thread indicate that communication--the ONLY legitimate use of language--is frequently subverted. That phenomenon has nothing to do with your being a native speaker--or not being a native speaker. It also does not have to do with being drunk or sober. I suspect it reflects lack of formal education? I hope that is all it reflects....

Good god woman, this is a informal discussion board on the web! Lack of formal educaton? I have a master's degree from one of the top universities in the United States, if not the world, and I know that I am not alone here! If you can't handle the way we write on the web, maybe you shouldn't be participating in these forums. I mean, really, give me a freakin' break! Rolling Eyes

Cheers,
Kirk
vre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 I have also noticed that many of my male EFL colleagues are, in fact, gay.

2 I am also, surprisingly, well- educated and have one of the highest paid jobs you can get in the country I teach in. WOW that's two of us!

3 We should be allowed to reply and enjoy our lovely, sometimes addictive discussion forum without having people criticise typos, language diversity and general lack of accuracy. After all, don't we spend all day doing that (most of us)?

4 Get a life if you dont like my post Laughing
leeroy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill out guys! Moonraven was having a go at my English skills - not everybody's.

It's because I started with "Is it just me?", and she falsely inerpreted this to mean "am I the only gay?". It was an unclear OP, granted...

In any case, to save face, or whatever, she had a go at my English ability and implied that I am uneducated and/or stupid; presumably because she got the wrong end of the stick.

Dave's is getting more and more like a soap opera these days Smile
mjed9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gay!
bigbadsuzie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: You!re right there mate! Reply with quote

I have to agree with the op there are a lot of poofs in this game and frankly they piss me off ,can!t get a decent sh?* these days coz of them .BLEEDİNG SHİRTLİFTERS .
MOONRAVER you want to get a life this is an İNFORMAL forum gettit!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: