Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BARI...ANYONE ANY OPINIONS????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: BARI...ANYONE ANY OPINIONS???? Reply with quote

After spending a year in the north of Italy I have decided to venture south to Bari to check it out. However all my italian friends have told me horror stories about the place. I am finding it hard to believe them because i am aware that those from the north are not particularlly fond of those from the south. should i pay any attention to what they are saying???
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Bari, but I've not heard anything particularly positive about it. It's supposed to be really humid and sticky. On the other hand, Brindisi is supposed to be interesting...
MrMojoRisin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a job starting end of September in Foggia, which is about 1 hour on the train from Bari. Both are in the same region - Puglia - which I hear is a great place to experience authentic Italy...which I think is supposed to be a good thing! Bari's the biggest city in Puglia, and from the reading I've done on the whole area, Bari isn't a Florence or Rome. It's basically just a gateway to Greece and Eastern Europe - lots of ferries. As for "horror stories" I don't know exactly what you mean, but I'm assuming it's the traditional petty kind of bag-snatching crime that the South is infamous for.

But Puglia on the whole sounds a fascinating place, with a few secret delights away from the swarms of tourism that raid other parts of Italy. Obviously I'm not going on my own first-hand experience, but I'm looking forward to living there.

If anyone else has information about the Puglia region, please divulge!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean "authentic Italy"? All of Italy is authentically so! Italy offers a vast range of landscapes, culture and traditions and so on. Puglia is no more authentic than Lazio or Lombardy...
MrMojoRisin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying Puglia is the only authentic place in Italy. What I'm saying is that it is a primitive area less unruffled by the weathering of tourism and modernisation that you might find in somewhere like Florence or Milan. Or to put it another way, a place where hardly anyone speaks English.

But as you say, Italy offers a vast range of landscapes, culture and traditions and so on, which I wasn't denying. Puglia is just one of those places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
lennon146

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Bari and while it's no Rome or Florence, it's still a pretty decent and pleasant city. The 'old town' is a series of narrow walkways, almost like a maze, and is well worth exploring, but this is a fairly small part of what is really a pretty modern-looking port city... It's no more humid and sticky than any other southern city and isn't humid at all outside of the summer months.

Paul
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bari...not many tourists.....funny..I remember seeing loads when I was there...!
Must have been something to do with all the ferries leaving for Greece laden with hordes of Scandanavian and Northern European backpackers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: