Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

German - Canadian Citizenship
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: German - Canadian Citizenship Reply with quote

I have a German passport and a Canadian passport. I have never been to Germany and I don't speak German.

I was recently looking online at the German consulate website, and I read some things that gave me the impression that if I were to visit Germany, my Canadian citizenship would not be recognized (even if I used my Canadian passport to enter the country). Does anyknow know about Germany and dual citizenship? Also, is there anything I would have to worry about (like the potential for compulsary military service) were I to enter the country? I have a Canadian friend who was drafted into the Greek military, and I've heard of something similar happening to one of my neighbours in Macedonia. I'm just a girl... I don't want to join the army!
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Dear Jetgirly

The army's not so bad and apparently a Private Class 1 gets paid more than the average TEFL teacher.

If you have a German passport, then you're surely entitled to work in that country. Assuming you've told us the truth, I promise you won't be drafted into the army.

Hod
English person
CELTA (pass)
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes i suspect you have multiple usernames and ask these questions to wind us up, Hod.

The Overcoat

Russian & British Citizen
BA at the University of Life
Celta Vigo versus Real Madrid 12.02.04
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Curses, foiled again.

Actually, I once rose to the ranks of moderator on a vastly superior Asian forum. Without giving away the secrets of such a prestigious position, I could spot multiple usernames a mile off. Moreover, I had access to information the likes of which would give you many a sleepless night. Did you know that a certain poster, also a regular contributor to this excellent Germany forum, posts in no more than his wife�s frilly apron?

Anyway, I know you are longtimeteach. Fancy a hot date with a rich teacher?
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderator, eh? Ich bin beeindruckt!
I'm not longtimeteach, but i'd love a hot date with a rich teacher.

How come you have a german passport anyway, Jetgirly?
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: A new relationship? Reply with quote

Do I see a potential new relationship forming between OC and Hod? Laughing

OC, you've got a relationship - you're not allowed to two-time, oder?

Don't yer just love the Hodster? Just when it drifts into boredom or stagnation here, he steps in and livens it all up!

C'mon Hod, spill the beans. What do Mods know about the hoi polloi? And who's the "regular poster"? You? Wink
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: dual passports in Germany Reply with quote

Jetgirly,

There are some rules regarding this issue which I know apply to men but I'm fairly sure there is no compulsory military service for females in Germany. In fact, I don't think they admit females to the military at all because I've never seen any. Do they?

However, you should definitely get some clarification on your status, regarding having both Canuck and German passports in Germany but get it from a reputable government source before you go. Anecdotal advice on such an issue is unlikely to be the last word, or even reliable.

I assume, since you've said you don't speak German, that Canadian is your 'first' citizenship but I also assume that Germany won't recognise it as such since, in Germany, once a German always a German no matter where one goes or what other passport(s) one acquires.

So PLEASE get competent, informed advice on this issue before you either go to Germany or somewhere else in Europe - because, I'm assuming again, you'll be planning on entering an EU country with your EU (German) passport.
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend is pretty open-minded, but the best i can offer Hod is a menage a trois.

I agree Hod livens things up nicely on here. Lets face it, if it wasn't for him it would just be us two and my five other usernames.
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: well, actually... Reply with quote

There's you, your five other user names plus me and my four other user names. Between us we constitute a bona fide group! We couldn't probably expect old Hod to have a few spare names himself, could we?
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

The Overcoat wrote:
Moderator, eh? Ich bin beeindruckt!

Don’t be impressed. A mod either knows the site’s owner or has posted enough bland stuff for a sufficient length of time. It’s an unpaid position and, as a former mod, I question the motives of anyone doing it.

Anyway some secrets: As a mod I could see the poster’s IP address, home address and telephone number. I could also heroically and bravely delete or change posters’ words from the anonymous safety of my bedsit. Saying that, apart from illegal stuff, I never deleted without checking with the poster. A bad mod lets the power go to his head deleting anything regardless of its humour or benefit to anyone. I can cite a thread called “Bremen” which vanished without explanation, only to be replaced a few weeks later by someone asking for information about Bremen. Well done.

[email protected]
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember writing this thread! I was so excited when I opened the Germany forum and found that someone else had the same questions as me... then I saw that it was me!

To the person who asked, I got my German citizenship through proving my grandparents were German citizens when they had my dad (even though they were in Canada by then). From there my dad could get citizenship, and he did, and it is passed on paternally. Thus, my brother and I get it, my mom does not. My brother's children will get it, mine and my husband won't.
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMSL Laughing
longtimeteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Rudesheimer's Reply with quote

Jetgirly,

I'd say you had a case of Rudesheimer's but since you haven't been here yet, that would be unlikely. Wink

Did you ever contact the authorities and ask about your situation?
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just heard back from the consulate today, and they said that there will be no "surprises" such as mandatory military service, taxes or anything else like that, regardless of whether I enter on my Canadian or German passport.
poro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: dual passports in Germany Reply with quote

longtimeteach wrote:
There are some rules regarding this issue which I know apply to men but I'm fairly sure there is no compulsory military service for females in Germany.

That's right, Germany has no draft for girls, nor do girls have to do any other form of compulsory service.

Quote:
In fact, I don't think they admit females to the military at all because I've never seen any. Do they?

Yes, they do, teach - it's combat roles that girls aren't allowed fill, unless the rules have been changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: