Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to Germany without a return ticket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
butterface

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Going to Germany without a return ticket Reply with quote

How likely is it to get denied entrance to Germany if you don't have a return ticket? I doubt any school would give me a visa before I got there and I could save about $300 by not getting a return ticket, so I thought I'd roll the dice. Some other posts have suggested that other countries rarely check for return tickets and even if they do, I could just buy a return ticket at the airport and cancel in the next day. Does this kind of thing work in Germany? I'd really like to know.
Magdusia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: return ticket Reply with quote

I came into Germany on a one-way ticket. This was after I bought it through the national Canadian student travel agency (Travel Cuts) and the highly competent travel assistant told me that I was going to cause myself a lot of headache and heartache if I didn't buy a return ticket, because Germans being Germans, I would surely get hassled at the airport about not having a return ticket and could be denied entry into the country. Then I phoned the three German consulates in Canada (had to lie about where I was calling from, because Germans being Germans, you're only supposed to call their consulate if you live in their region). After a few snide comments about the intelligence of travel agents, I was told that as a Canadian with a Canadian passport I would have no problem. Things might be different if I were a convicted criminal, a citizen of a "non-preferred" country, or a refugee with dubious acquaintances, but if you're a good guy/girl it's no problem. I got through customs and not a word other than "Hallo" (me) and "Bitte schoen" (officer handing me back my stamped passport) was exchanged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: