Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadians teaching in the USA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goddess

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Canadians teaching in the USA Reply with quote

Greetings readers!
I�m an American who has been teaching EFL for 4 years over here in Europe, and now I feel ready to return to the USA. I�ve invited my boyfriend to come with me to the San Francisco Bay Area. He has dual citizenship in the UK and Canada. We�re both hoping that he can get legal work teaching ESL in the States under the NAFTA agreement. Does anyone out there, Canadian or American, have any experience or information about this? It would be greatly appreciated. I can offer gobs of info on teaching in central Europe and southern Spain in return.
Peace.
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Canadians teaching in the States Reply with quote

I hate to disappoint you, but unfortunately for it's very hard for us Canadians to get work teaching in the States; the NAFTA agreement doesn't really have anything to do with employment, it's a very evil free trade agreement that pretty much gives the U.S. the right to exploit and access Canadian and Mexican resources...but putting politics aside from a moment...

Most ESL schools in the States require that their teachers are legally entitled to work in the US (i.e. have a Social Security number) before they can hire them. I suggest that your boyfriend speak to the American Consulate or Embassy in your area to find out what the legislation is.

Best of luck!
Lisa
goddess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Circumventing evil Reply with quote

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for your reply to my message. I am well aware of the evil intentions of NAFTA, it really has nothing to do with workers, but sometimes we can take a shot at these things for our own benefits.
You seem to be knowledgeable on Canadian issues as they relate to EFL. My boyfriend and I were in the States back in December and we visited the INS. They gave us all of the paperwork to apply for a temporary work visa (HB-1) and said that he needs to find an employer who would be willing to sponsor him to begin the application process. So we are hoping that maybe just one measly EFL school will be willing to do this for him. I�ve recently tried a similar approach to find summer work in England, but to no avail. But the UK doesn�t have a �free trade� agreement with the US, for whatever that�s worth.
Have you yourself, or any Canadian citizen(s) you know, tried doing something like this in the States, EFL-related or otherwise?
J. in Granada
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when I wanted to live and work in New York City, so I contacted a few ESL schools there (can't remember which ones at the moment), and they all told me that usually schools in the States do not sponsor foreign teachers because it is simply not worth the hassle when they have an abundance of qualified American teachers at their disposal... it's kind of ironic that as a Canadian citizen, I could probably get a visa easier in Indonesia or Zimbabwe than I could in the U.S. Go figure. I'm afraid I don't know too much about the ESL market in the States at the moment, though.
cheers, Lisa
dan

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadian, eh? i am suspicious of the copoius amounts of mayonase and ranch dressing they consume... all kidding aside, yes its tough for them to find stable, legal work here. my friend got the boot last month, and he was brought here as a 'foreign expert', meaning he could fulfill a position that a homegrown american couldnt readily do. yup - mayo taster.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why we couldn't have an agreement set up like that between Australia and New Zealand.

The citizens of these 2 countries can work legally in each other's nations without much hassle.
goddess

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Whatever the future may bring Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your replies and feedback everyone! I was particularly amused by the mayonnaise story. What a crazy country the USA is. Who knows how long I�ll last there when I return in July, not to mention my Canadian/British boyfriend.
...Which is to say, that I promise to post a follow-up message in a few months (or start a new dialogue if the Powerful Men in Black Robes and White Wigs at Dave�s ESL Cafe remove this string of exchanges beforehand) letting you all know what happens. From this vantage point, it�s not lookin� good, but I remain ever the optimist.
Peace Everyone.
The goddess in Granada, Spain
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity...

Would it be any easier for me to get a job in the US because I have an American social security number (SSN) and graduated from a college in the midwest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: