Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scandanavia?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuck2112

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Scandanavia? Reply with quote

I haven't seen much posting on Scandanavia. Are jobs very hard to come by there or do people just not want to teach there?
dyak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't jobs simply because it's taught so well in schools, hence every scandanavian over the age of 12 speaking fluent English... I think they could actually teach 'us' a thing or two...
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Yes.Dyak is Right. Reply with quote

Of course,Dyak is right.This question comes up periodically.It is certainly not a question of people "not wanting to teach in Scandinavia."If the jobs were there,there would probably be a stampede.The jobs are not there for the reasons Dyak states.
In this field,just because you would like to teach in a certain place does not mean that is a possibility.Personally I would love to teach in Scandinavia.However,like most other people who have been in this business any length of time,I do not even bother entertaining the notion,becaue the jobs just aren't there.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're very difficult to get, and most people there speak English as well.
ejw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some ESL jobs in Scandinavia but they usually go to people who are already settled here and looking for work. There is absolutely no place that will sponsor you for a work permit. If you are a citizen of an EU country you can try to get work here but it often is not enough to live on and you have to have special skills. I know those who have gotten work in Sweden teaching Business English. All of the people I know were either married to or living with Swedes. In other words, unless you are already settled here there is no work.

EJW
Gorm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Scandanavia? Reply with quote

I wonder if it would be impossible for me. Most of my family reside in Norway. Norway is not an EU country (as my family and I are proud of), so no problems there. I still keep contact with them, and I speak both Norwegian and English as my mother tongue/s.

I'm a US citizen studying for a BMus, and will have it in three years (5-year program). I am a violinist, many years of experience - teaching, orchestral work, competitions, etc.

This may or may not be relevant, but I'm also multi-lingual. I speak and write fluently in English, Icelandic, Norwegian, and Spanish. I can wing it and get by in Danish, Swedish, and Faroese, survival-level only. I speak basic Russian and Korean. I'm studying Japanese from my J-friends and taking a course.

I will be entering a TESOL certificate program in Jan.

P.S. - For the record, it is "Scandinavia" or "Skandinavia" and never is it "Scandanavia". For a further record for most laypeople - Scandinavia is a group of countries which all share one peninsula - the Scandinavian peninsula. That is, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. The F�roe Islands, Iceland, and Finland are Nordic countries, and essentially non-Scandinavian, esp. in way of culture.

Thanks for your time and help guys,

Gorm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jetgirly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyak wrote:
There aren't jobs simply because it's taught so well in schools, hence every scandanavian over the age of 12 speaking fluent English... I think they could actually teach 'us' a thing or two...

That is soooooo untrue! I have a handful of friends who grew up in Sweden and came to Canada between the ages of 20-25 and only one of them speaks fluent English- the one with the university degree in English who did a year of her degree in Canada! I am always amazed by how well my Swedish friends can get along in English, Spanish, Swedish and the other Scandinavian/Nordic languages... but from my experience their English is nowhere near "fluent".
Gorm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Scandanavia? Reply with quote

Sweden is the most populous Scandinavian country - 9 million people. Denmark - 5,4 million. Norway - 4,5 million.

I know a few Swedes and they tend to be more formal ("stiff") and insular (even more than us, Norwegians) than the rest of Scandinavians.

Norwegians have plenty of Swede jokes... Smile but in the end, we are all very similar people - anyway, this is known that Swedes don't use English as much as the other Scandinavians simply because there's more for the Swedish language than for the others.

Every Norwegian under 60 speaks English - some better than others, but most people can have a basic conversation in it. Children study English in primary school and over 75% of the media is in English.

As a result of this (and recent immigration changes), language erosion is fast becoming a reality in Scandinavia...which is too upsetting to discuss here.

G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
poro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scandanavia? Reply with quote

Canuck2112 wrote:
I haven't seen much posting on Scandanavia. Are jobs very hard to come by there or do people just not want to teach there?

The jobs are there, but only a few are advertised in English, Canuck2112.

To find them, all you have to do is make a search in the respective country's online job database. You can even search by region, if it's important for you to live in a certain place.
junkmail

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is soooooo untrue! I have a handful of friends who grew up in Sweden and came to Canada between the ages of 20-25 and only one of them speaks fluent English- the one with the university degree in English who did a year of her degree in Canada!

The majority of my Scandanavian friends, Danish and Swedish mostly, really don't need EFL teachers. They do have different criteria for language learning than say, Asians. They don't feel the need to mimic accents for instance; yours or mine. If they can communicate effectively, they're happy and that's the way it should be.
Interestingly enough, India doesn't use EFL teachers either.
beNZed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Scandanavia? Reply with quote

poro wrote:

The jobs are there, but only a few are advertised in English, Canuck2112.

To find them, all you have to do is make a search in the respective country's online job database. You can even search by region, if it's important for you to live in a certain place.

I�m in Sweden at the moment, you probably don�t even post here any longer! But if you or anyone else can describe in greater detail this online database thing, please do so.

I�m in Sweden now and wanting work desperately, it�s really difficult here and not just because of their English language strengths (there are still jobs in the folksuniversitat etc) but because of the necessity to speak SWEDISH!

Any and all advice greatly and warmly received, i�m in some financial sludge right now and need a solution.

Cheers.
poro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beNZed, I posted this on your thread too:

http://katalogen.sunet.se/cat/business/employment/employment_service
poro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The employment office is on that page, but here's a quick link to it:

http://www.ams.se/
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may issue a temporary work permit and then give you random spelling tests. If you can't spell SCANDINAVIA, they deport you.
poro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they deported people for speaking horrible Swedish, they'd be bereft of population Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: