Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools In Brazil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
THAT GIRL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Schools In Brazil Reply with quote

Very Happy Hello! I need some infomation on schools in Barzil.
Such as good/bad schools, average salary, accomodations,
the visa situation and how much start up money will I need.
If anyone can give me advice, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanxs

Trish Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Catarina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Schools and Wizard Idiomas Reply with quote

Tudo Bem?
I contacted the British Council who were able to provide me with a list of private language schools for a particular area. There seem to be international and national chain schools but a few smaller institutions as well. Don't really know about pay and conditions but obviously, no contract; no gaurantee. Trying to find out myself about the rep of Wizard.

Does anyone know anything about Wizard Idiomas schools, I know where they're located but wonder if anyone's got information on their reputation, teaching methods etc.
Obrigada!
TexasFish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Wizard Schools Reply with quote

I haven't worked for them so this information is worth what you pay for it.

They are a big chain school and vary with location. I have heard some folks that love it and others that would have prefered to have fingers chopped off. They use their own curriculum and really focus on students parroting the teacher...not much real language learning.

Where are you planning on heading in Brazil?
Catarina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Cheers TexasFish Reply with quote

Thanks for that TexasFish. Have you worked in Brazil/ are you working in Brazil?
I am travelling to Rio where I have friends and then I have a placement set up with a Wizard school just north east of Sao Paulo. However the facilliating organisation, STI, seems to be having some trouble getting the correct documents to me so that I can obtain a student trainee visa. May go on a tourist visa instead and not end up with Wizard after all!
Any experiences/ tips gladly received.
chasing amy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Catarina, I was just wondering if you received the correct documents from STI yet. I've also been placed in a school by them and am currently waiting for them to send me the documents I need to apply for the student trainee visa.
Catarina

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: STI documents Reply with quote

Hi Amy,
Well I had already booked my flight date and couldn�t change it so left the UK before the documents arrived. They arrived later than STI assured me they would (it took about two weeks). I don�t know whether the documents contain the necesarry info though, the one document that STI faxed to the Brazilian Consulate in London gave conflicting dates which the consulate said was unacceptable even if they had the originals.
Anyway, I�m in Brazil now (have been for 3 weeks) and am about to start at the school they placed me with but have not attended the orientation session. I came on a tourist VISA in the end which will last for a maximum of 6 months if I renew it after 3 months. Very chaotic and not the best situation to be in. I�m just going to see how it goes.
Where are you placed? Are you British or American? What are your plans for Brazil? Only interested, don�t need to reply if you feel uncomfotable.
Good luck and beijos.
chasing amy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Catarina, I finally managed to get my visa, the day before I flew out.. and only because a brazilian friend of mine called up STI and pushed them into sending the documents a second time. Had to go to the Consulate in London twice as STI told me a didn�t need a certain document from the host school, when in fact it was essential. So it was a mess as well. Where are you placed and how are you finding your school? I was placed in Ilh�us, Bahia.. but I want travel to S�o Paulo, Florianopolis and Vitoria after. I hope that you get things sorted out with your visa - Good luck with everything
Rodolfo Silva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Wizard Schools Reply with quote

Most of the big chain schools in Brazil, and especially Wizard, do not like to depend on native speakers and qualified teachers. Often the school owner barely speaks English and is not aware of cultural differences, ill-prepared to deal with foreigners. The big chains will rather stick to courses of lessons and books based on repetition drills, which serve to monitor the franchisees' income. At the same time they pump a large part of their profit into mass advertising.

Also, keep in mind that there can be huge differences between schools operating under the same name. The big-name schools in Brazil are just a name and a coursebook, because each unit is an independent firm managed by a different owner. The only thing in common between the chain units is the brand name, the advertising and the business practice.

Independent schools tend to be better for both teachers and students.
Rodolfo Silva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Visa-sponsoring organizations in Brazil Reply with quote

There are very few Brazilian organizations that can sponsor trainee visas. Most of them are expensive and inefficient. I have compiled a list of them:
AIESEC - http://www.aiesec.org/
IAESTE - http://www.iaeste.org/
IICA - http://www.mgt.com.br/icbeu/
STI - http://www.summerjobs.com/do/details/3772
ASBI - http://www.asbi.org.br
BLCP - http://www.sk.com.br/sk-psl.html
Veritas_Aequitas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wizard Schools Reply with quote

Rodolfo Silva wrote:
Most of the big chain schools in Brazil, and especially Wizard, do not like to depend on native speakers and qualified teachers. Often the school owner barely speaks English and is not aware of cultural differences, ill-prepared to deal with foreigners. The big chains will rather stick to courses of lessons and books based on repetition drills, which serve to monitor the franchisees' income. At the same time they pump a large part of their profit into mass advertising.

Also, keep in mind that there can be huge differences between schools operating under the same name. The big-name schools in Brazil are just a name and a coursebook, because each unit is an independent firm managed by a different owner. The only thing in common between the chain units is the brand name, the advertising and the business practice.

Independent schools tend to be better for both teachers and students.

Oi, rapaz.

In my experience the Wizard schools like to have a foreigner or two around at least for the 'feeling of authenticity' but thats just my experience.

falou,

VA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: