Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Marrying A Czech & Citizenship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daphne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Marrying A Czech & Citizenship Reply with quote

I would like to know whether now that the CR is an EU member, does it mean that a person marrying a Czech can automatically get EU citizenship and Passport?--does the answer to this question apply to all the other new members (Hungary, Slovakia, Poland...,) or does the rules on this issue still vary from case to case and nation to nation?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spouse is Czech, and to be eligible for a Cz passport I need to live in the country for five consecutive years, under the current law.
Unfortunately, marraige doesnt yet work EU magic instantly.
Czenglish

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: EU a marriage Reply with quote

Should point out, however, that under EU law, the partner or spouse of an EU citizen is entitled to live and work in an EU country, regardless of their nationality.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet true. Czech nationals cannot yet work freely in all EU countries -therefore my status as spouse doesn't yet entitle me to freely work in all EU countries either. The hiring laws covering new EU member countries are still different from country to country.
Czenglish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: aha,.... Reply with quote

I was refering to the situation here in the Czech Rep - although I haven't studied it thoroughly, when I read the new foreigner's law, I was under the impression that Czech law enabled the spouses (and partners) of EU citizens to live and work in the Czech Republic. But it's true that I haven't studied it that closely, so I may be mistaken. I don't know the situation in other EU countries. And you're certainly right that Czechs can only work freely in a handful of EU countreis (Britain, Ireland and Sweden?). But so far the Czechs haven't implemented any reciprocal inhibitions. And you certainly won't get a Czech (EU) passport automatically by marrying a Czech. You'll get Trvaly Pobyt (permanent residence visa), but not a passport. When the Czech Rep joins the Schengen Agreement (i.e. borderless borders withing the EU) then your visa here will entitle you to work in other EU countries (in theory). But that won't be any time soon as far as I know.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Czenglish, you're absolutely correct about the right of a spouse to live and work in the country where his/her mate was born. I was assuming from the original post that the question was whether marraige automatically confers EU rights to work in other EU countries...In any case the O.P. seems to have disappeared!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: