Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Registration - damn landlord letters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alekto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Registration - damn landlord letters Reply with quote

Ok. So, I've lived and worked in Russia for two years, but during that time I was on contract and didn't have to deal with my paperwork.

This year I'm freelancing in Moscow. Everything has turned out just great. I got my multiple-entry visa, got some good work (but not too much) and a great flat.

The problem?

Although my landlady has said she'd get the letter in order to have my visa registered, she hasn't done it yet. Three weeks on I'm still wandering around with an unregistered visa and with all the extra militsia around, I'm really not very comfortable about it.

I've heard that it is possible, for a fee, to get one of these blinking letters. The company who issued me my invitation (and who will eventually register me) originally said they'd get me a letter, but couldn't at the last minute.

Help? Anyone? I know it's technically illegal but so is wandering around unregistered.
zaneth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better do whatever you can do yourself. I don't know if you can get the paperwork and just take it to them (or make an appointment to go with them to a notary with it). But don't wait for them to do it, as they have very little incentive, and it's a big hassle. It's your visa, your life. Maybe think of it in terms of a big favor they're doing for you, so you have to make it as easy for them as possible.

Getting that letter is a huge pain for them. I remember the first time I got a visa all I had to do was give my friends' address where I was staying to the inviting organization. No fuss.

Last time I registered a visa it was at my father in laws place and he lost half a days work running back and forth to different local offices, the bank, etc. (you know, stand in line to find out what line you should be in, stand in another line for the form, stand in line to get a little piece of paper that tells you how much to pay, go stand in line at the bank to pay it, etc, etc.)

He ended up having to pay six months worth of utility payments for me. And I guess we'll be doing it again soon (registration is only for six months).

This he was doing for the father of his only grandchild.

Another place I was living I asked the landlord, who agreed, until his wife heard and vetoed it, flat. I can just imagine the reaction "You said what?? Absolutely not. What were you thinking?"

Good luck to you. Better get moving on it. I believe the fine print says that if you don't register you visa it becomes invalid. I don't believe they have shoot on sight orders for this infraction, but it could get costly and inconvenient in the extreme.
alekto

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

I know it's a lot of hasstle - my landlady has already popped in a few times to tell me she needs X, Y or Z to get it done.

I didn't know that my visa might become invalid though *looks nervous*.

But there's not much more I can do. I can't speak much Russian - I really can't deal with the paperwork myself, I need to have someone else do it - and I'm resigned to paying through the nose once I get my registration done due to it's lateness.

*sigh*

But thanks anyway.
Trojan Horse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Alekto,

I don't know the ins and outs of this registration business but if I were you, I'd ask a nice student to help. You'd be enormously in his/her debt by the sounds of it. Accompany him/her on the rounds, cook a nice meal, bat your eyelids, etc. Ah... this could be the beginning of a fine thing indeed..

Might be better to do that (register at their flat even?) rather than wait for your landlord. Does sound like the landlord will have little incentive to go through this palaver for you.

Good luck with it anyway!
waxwing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is endless discussion about this on the expat.ru forum. Go there.
I vaguely remember that one route is to go the small hotels, some of them will apparently do it for you for a fee.
This kind of b**locks is one of the main reasons I left Russia...
Castro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alekto,

NON-Official way:

1. HOTEL
There are a lot of agencies, for example, Majestic Style , 726 54 64 at Tveskaya street. It's easy but for 1 month. All you need is to pay and remember the hotel you are registered in.

2. FLAT
Some of agencies find you a loyal landlord (who is paid for it) to write the letter in order to have your visa registered. Here is one vdp tours at Kurskaya metro station 928 14 86

Official way:

1. Well, Trojan Horse is right you would ask a nice student to help. In this way it's gonna be official. REAL REGISTRATION.
2. But If I were you I would ask my school stuff FIRST. I guess you are off contract but you still work for some school here. They must help. I know they do. At least they give you advice.

P.S. As for links you can use the master index. Thanks Kent. There are at least 3 web sites about the problem. First is useful expat.ru forum Waxwing mentioned. Second is http://www.waytorussia.net/TalkLounge/viewforum.php?f=10
Besides you can go visahouse.com for any kind of FAQ. Although they do not do registration stuff they recommend you what to do.

Good Luck.
alekto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ever so much. I might try a hotel, but it's reached the point where it's so late now that it might be impossible for them to register me without there being big trouble.

However, I may try and contact the agent who helped me find the flat. The agency she works for is pretty big...perhaps they can arrange a letter for me.

Thanks again!
rulezz22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Russia (and I'm Russian American) - it's never too late to process paperwork. It just depends on your ability to pay a little extra in processing "fees". You need to find someone with connections in local militia (police) station or "паспортный стол" to properly register you. It depends in what type of building you reside. But do not say "Oh, God, I'm in trouble" to anyone, that would just make everything more complicated. Make it look like you know what you're doing Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: