Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FSIS, any general info/impressions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: FSIS, any general info/impressions? Reply with quote

My mom has accepted her first overseas job at Fawzia Sultan International School in Kuwait. She is very excited, and we (her family) are supportive and interested--but want to learn more from someone other than the person who is recruiting and hiring her, and of course we feel that she needs to be certain she is getting into a tolerable situation there.

There are unanswered questions, and I've been lurking around these boards to get some ideas about what can go wrong (and right) with overseas jobs, and about what life in Kuwait is like for an American woman.

I've got a lot of questions, and I don't expect you all to jump in and answer each and every one of them, but if you can give me any bit of info I'd really appreciate it. The plan is for her to leave at the end of the month, so we haven't much time and I feel I've exhausted my brain with internet research. And yes, I realize I am being a bit over-involved, please indulge me so I can wish her bon voyage with a positive attitude.

Some questions I hope some of you can shed some light on: does this school have a good reputation for their treatment of teachers? the contract indicates housing is fully furnished and hosted by the school for the first two years--does "hosted" mean "free of charge"? The location for housing is new--anyone know where it is and what the neighborhood is like? Overall I think the contract is vaguely worded; what are the typical pitfalls of contracts--what should she be clear on before she steps on the plane? What do you think the initial expenses they are not covering are going to cost her (roundabout figure): photographs, criminal record check, medical exams, tests and vaccinations, etc. What is the typical International Health insurance policy like? She has some medications and such that she'll need and I'm concerned about prices and availability.

Any words of wisdom for an older American woman in Kuwait? Mom is 62, but doesn't look or feel that old. She has always had a love for travel and intense curiosity about other cultures and it has long been her dream to teach overseas, though Kuwait wouldn't have been her first choice. She has an extensive educational background, has most recently been teaching ESL in city elementary and high schools. Obviously, she is going to work in a special ed environment and has experience with that as well. She is friendly and well-loved by her students.

My own concerns for her (and I'm going to be delicate because she will most certainly end up seeing this post!!) are that she may be romanticizing the situation. I'm also concerned that she find a supportive community that will take her under their wings. Oh yes, I'm also wondering about travel. She is certain she will get to do lots of traveling to other countries. Is this realistic during the school year?

Thanks in advance, apologies for the long post.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ms Daughter,

You are right to be concerned - mainly because it seems that you haven't been able to find much about this school. I have to confess that I have never heard of it, but since I always taught university level and never had children over there to educate either, that is not too unusual. BUT, why have they not given you a contact email address of another teacher to consult with?? That bothers me.

I have never heard the term 'hosted' in relation to housing in all my years in the Gulf. It sounds like they may expect you to move out after a certain time and find your own place. Get a definite answer about that BEFORE going. If they do not answer your questions, I would not consider them a trustworthy employer. They should also tell you how much all this testing should cost. I would assume about $300 perhaps? Personally I think that 100% of this should be paid by the employer and Kuwait is the only country that I ever worked in where they stick the employee with this. In fact, your mother best have enough money to live on for the first 3-5 months. Kuwait is notoriously slow and inefficient in getting all paperwork done, and you don't get paid until all the paperwork is done. I used my US ATM card (took awhile to find one where it worked) and you can also use your VISA card there.

Medical care should be covered by her employer. Most all medications are available there - without prescription - and significantly cheaper than the US. The employer may or may not cover them. If they are new or unusual medications, she may want to take a year's worth along with her. She needs to know the chemical names of her medications, as they are usually sold under different names overseas. For instance, you won't find PepcidAC or Zantac, it will be raniditine or whatever. If she has favorite brands of over the counter medications, she may want to take them.

She should be able to do some travel during the year. There will be at least two 4-6 day extended holidays for the Eids (one after Ramadhan and one after the Haj). She will be close to places like India, Oman, Egypt or Syria.

There is a large expat community, and it may take some time, but if she is the social type, she should have little trouble finding friends. But, she sounds like the independant sort, who will find her way. I assume that she has been reading up on the culture and history of the area. I hope it works out, and even if it is not the best school, one academic year isn't that long. Smile I expect that she will still enjoy the experience.

VS
(BTW, I would suggest that your mother keep her US health insurance active if she can. Once she comes back, it is difficult to get health insurance in the US - and she still has a few years until Medicare!!)
herdaughter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Thanks so much for your reply! In response to some of your concerns, I will say that the school has indeed given her the email addresses of two teachers to contact--given how fast everything is moving (and mom's determination to make a go of this no matter what) she hasn't communicated with them yet as far as I know. I sort of figured that happy happy people would be given as references, so I thought I'd dig a bit (she's not looking for dirt, but I am--paranoid protective child that I am).

It is difficult to learn more about the school as their website is under construction and all internet searches result in basic descriptions and ads for employment. What I do know is that the school has a smaller enrollment and is a special needs school, so I'm sure it isn't that well-known.

The flats are "hosted" for the first two years, then housing expense stipends are arranged. Thanks for the info about possible medical costs and slow pay--good to know, and great to know prescription prices are lower. The director is, I believe, American; he is the one recruiting and hiring her. I kind of thought that might go in her favor as far as teacher-admin relations go, as well as in regards to the situation being what is promised (heard recruiters can often stretch the truth about accomodations and percs).

I'm not so sure my mom is studying up on culture and history, though; part of my concern is that she go in with realistic expectations rather than romantic ideals . . . I'm sounding more like the mom here!

Thanks so much for your advice and feedback!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Ms Daughter,

Funny how life goes - when is it that we become our mother's mother? (being one who retired in order to help out her aging mother) Smile

Having an American director may or may not be a help. Western administrators can sometimes be horrible and local Arab administrators can be fantastic. No predicting here. Smile Getting a good boss anywhere is a crapshoot. A good sign that her interviewer provided her with teachers to communicate with - of course, they will be the happy ones, but you still can get some helpful information from them.

As to the housing issue, I chose to take the housing allowance when I was there. In fact my university housing was so awful, that I was out of it in 2 weeks and paid the rent myself. Eventually I was reimbursed and I am an old Middle East hand, so it was easy for me. By the end of the two years, your mother will likely know if she wants to stay and hassle with moving or if she is ready to come home.

I wouldn't worry too much. Kuwait in general is safe, though there are more daily hassles than many other places. It is not a very pretty area of the world and a rather ugly city, but it is modern and plenty of shopping. It is a place that even if you don't like the job, spending one academic year there is not an unbearable thing. It is not a place that you need to sit up nights and worry about her. I can't know if she will like the job, but she will be fine.

Just warn her that when she steps out of the airport, she will think she has walked into her oven!! Even if it is the middle of the night. (starts cooling a bit in another month or so) Also tell her to pack her sense of humor and patience, cause she's 'not in Kansas anymore' and things do NOT happen as they do back home. But, if she is a special ed teacher, she must have plenty of both.

VS
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in Kuwait for some time and have never heard of this school. That doesn't mean it isn't good it may be one of the many new schools that have sprung up. Concerning Medical expenses here in country they are usually covered by the employer since they cost only a minimal sum, Blood test fo HIV, XRay for TB. Health Insurance is mandatory and must be paid for by the employer according to the law. Salaries in the private sector will be paid at the end of each month into a bank account opened when you have your residence permit and ID card. The whole process shouldn't take more than 4-6 weeks and can be done a good faster. So she should not worry about not receiving a salary for months. That only appears to happen in the Government Sector. The housing term hosted is strange, does she have her own accomodation? It might be every one is living in a large villa and living communally. I hope not. It is great to have yur own place and close the door on work etc. Most medicines are available here, a visit to a local clinic cost Kd 1 about $3.30 and Kd 2. to visit the out patients Dept of the hospital.
Kuwait has many modern Malls, lots of restaurants and lots of expat activities. Your mom should be able to travel in the school holidays, air fare are not cheap however, there are lots of package deals.
Find out more about the housing situation is my advice. I hope this helps, in a rush must go.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have more seciurity as a teacher in Kuwait then anywhere else in the Gulf. The probationary period cuts both ways so if you don't like it you can simply pick up your passport and get another job, ielsewhere in the Gulf, or possibly even in Kuwait. Moreover if you are a teacher they can only sack you with the written permission of the Minsitry of Education, and if they start the process you can go off to the teachers's union and get them to intervene.

It is normal for companies to provide housing or a housing allowance. It is also not uncommon in the Gulf for companies to initially provide housing but expect you to take the housing allowance and find your own after you have been settled for some time. The MLI in the Emirates does that.

Now, there are a lot of pretty crappy schools in Kuwait, so your mother might find that the job is nothing like what she thought, but intolerable it shouldn't be.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: FSIS, any general info/impressions? Reply with quote

herdaughter wrote:

Some questions I hope some of you can shed some light on: does this school have a good reputation for their treatment of teachers?

Never heard of it.

herdaughter wrote:
the contract indicates housing is fully furnished and hosted by the school for the first two years--does "hosted" mean "free of charge"?

Beats me.

herdaughter wrote:
The location for housing is new--anyone know where it is and what the neighborhood is like?

Ummmm.... tell us again where they said it was?

herdaughter wrote:
Overall I think the contract is vaguely worded; what are the typical pitfalls of contracts--what should she be clear on before she steps on the plane?

The typical pitfall is that they ignore the contact completely and do whatever they want.

herdaughter wrote:
What do you think the initial expenses they are not covering are going to cost her (roundabout figure): photographs, criminal record check, medical exams, tests and vaccinations, etc.

A couple of hundred bucks ought to cover all of that stuff.

herdaughter wrote:
What is the typical International Health insurance policy like?

The more you pay, the more you get.

herdaughter wrote:
She has some medications and such that she'll need and I'm concerned about prices and availability.

Nothing is cheap in Q8, except perhaps human life. Many specific branded medicines are not available, so she needs to come equipped with generic names. If she's doing any heavy-duty drugs, she will have to have them prescribed by a local doctor.

herdaughter wrote:
Any words of wisdom for an older American woman in Kuwait?

Heh. What can I say? "Don't trust anybody who is not trustworthy"? "Don't do anything that you will wind up regretting"?. She'll be a lot wiser in six months than she is now.

herdaughter wrote:
My own concerns for her (and I'm going to be delicate because she will most certainly end up seeing this post!!) are that she may be romanticizing the situation.

That's half the fun of going. She'll either get over that -- or she won't! Either way, it really should be up to her, doncha think? I mean, at 62 I'd think she has earned the right to go out and make her own mistakes.

herdaughter wrote:
I'm also concerned that she find a supportive community that will take her under their wings.

It's hard for me to imagine a WORSE outcome. Hey, if she *really* doesn't like it there, she can always just sashay out the door.

herdaughter wrote:
Oh yes, I'm also wondering about travel. She is certain she will get to do lots of traveling to other countries. Is this realistic during the school year?

Kinda depends on how busy she is, where she wants to go, and how long she wants to stay, doesn't it? Be advised that as a sponsored worker, she may need an "exit visa" from her employer every time she wants to leave the country, which makes her dependent on the employer's bureaucracy to get that done in a timely manner.

She'll probably be so absorbed with the everyday details of living and working that she won't have time or energy to leave, except during vacations or holidays. But, hey, let her figure that out for herself. It's *her* movie.

BD,
Whose mother tramped off to dig for bones in the heat of the Negev when she was in her sixties and loved every minute of it
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Jones wrote:
It is also not uncommon in the Gulf for companies to initially provide housing but expect you to take the housing allowance and find your own after you have been settled for some time. The MLI in the Emirates does that.

Not any more. As of this hiring season, new single teachers will be assigned to MLI/GHQ housing, but married teachers get to find their own places (with an allowance from GHQ) right off the bat. All teachers are temporarily parked in the GHQ Officer's Club (with full board) until their apartments are located and furnished.

BD
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD
Since when have they had exit visas in Kuwait? You might have to argue with your employer for your passport but I have never heard of exit visas being required at the border.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen

Kuwait University teachers could not leave the country without an exit visa when I was there. It was rather a pain since you had to plan ahead to get all the paperwork through.

BD was there longer than I was, so I guess that makes two of us who had to do it. I was there in 98/99. It seemed to be standard at the time, not something new.

Perhaps there is someone reading here who can tell us if KU is still requiring exit visas or if any other employers are requiring them.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Jones wrote:
BD
Since when have they had exit visas in Kuwait? You might have to argue with your employer for your passport but I have never heard of exit visas being required at the border.

And I didn't know Cahooti employers held teachers' passports. KU didn't. Exit visas were SOP when I was there, but I left in 2000.

BD
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there in 95-96 working for a private school. If my memory was right they kept the passports but I am damm sure there were no exit visas.

Anybody not working for Kuwait University know about this?
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Exit visa needed or not? Reply with quote

Two messages please delete the first one, Thanks.

Last edited by Fred Bilbo on Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fred Bilbo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Exit visa needed or not? Reply with quote

The situation in Kuwait with regard to exit visas is as follows:

1. If you have a No 17 residence visa ( sponsored by a Gov't Dept.) you need an exit permit to leave the country.

2. If you have a No 18 residence visa ( sponsor by a private company/ school) you can come and go as you like, you don't need an exit visa.

3. Neither the private sector nor the government sector keeps your passport. Of course it is required by them for visa renewal but is usually returned after a few days.
Hope this helps.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fred, that rather confirms how things looked. So, I guess individual companies can choose to hold passports - if they think that can get away with it. Smile

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: