Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recommended hotels for new nets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: recommended hotels for new nets Reply with quote

Hi all,
As part of the package sent out to future nets, is a list of hotels that we can choose to book into. (I understand that hotel accommodation will be reimbursed, but I don't know how long for. If anyone can enlighten me, that would be great. I may have missed reading something in the paperwork.)
Anyhow, there is a list of hotels a mile long --- too many to mention here --- and apparently we do have the option of choosing outside the list. Does anyone have any suggestions to make as to a nice hotel??? or even any to avoid at all costs???
many thanks,
Jenny
sypanda5

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

hey jenny-pnet,
i didn't know that our hotel is covered? REALLY?! where does it say that?! hmmm...let me go check out the package again.... (that's good news!)
i'd also like to know more about this....

(for me personally, i think i will probably stay somewhere close to my school (at least for the first little bit (hotel or serviced apt) - cuase i figure i will surely go there...and my co-workers will help me with whatever i need so.......?)
arju

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: hotels Reply with quote

Hi re the hotels
you will be paid your salary and rental allowance from the time you arrive in hong kong however this payment will occur once you have signed on at your school and so all accomodation will be paid by yourself and then when you do get paid by the ed dept you will have effectively been using the allowance. The allowance last year was paid to those pnets who landed in hk on the 16th august for those of us who arrived later it was more difficult to get the dept to pay for the last week of august due to their strange way of doing things.
You can book you self into any hotel you like as you will be paying for it last year a number of places gave discounts to nets of about 10-15%.
its a good idea to rent a serviced apartment that is close to your schoolor close to the mtr as then your travel is easy, apartments close to mtrs are generally more expensive in hong kong.
hope this helps
bye
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arju, if we arrive before August 16th, does that mean we don't get any reimbursement whatsoever for accommodation? What about airfare also? Does it matter from that perspective when we fly? Will they only reimburse during a specified period of time? These questions may seem silly, but I really want to make sure I know exactly where I stand.
many thanks
Jenny
arju

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: re airfares Reply with quote

Hi jenny
the date of the start of the contract that the dept will offer you will then set the dates for paying you, in last years case it was the 16 th august so from that date on nets were paid both allowance and salary. the dates for flying wont matter as if you choose to come early they wil still pay your travel and baggage costs as you have moved to take up the contract.
hope this helps and a good question.
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: no point arriving before 16th Reply with quote

Thanks Arju. I get the impression now that there is no point arriving before the 16th. If we do, we will have to cover our own costs (other than flight and baggage) and I am assuming that there should be sufficient time from the 16th (aside from the orientations that we are expected to attend) to set up accommodation. Is this right? Or am I still off track?
thanks again,
Jenny
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenny...i would recommend the harbour city resort plaza in tin shui wai...although not near tai po...there is a direct bus to the kcr stop sheung shui and then it is just a few stops to tai po....there might even be buses to tai po from tin shui wai....

i recommend because they have a really nice service apt there...new building...gym..pool...all the extras that go with serviced apts...plue movie theatres, a large supermarket and the hotel is right at the bus terminus...so you can easy transport to almost anyplace in hong kong....

it is a NET place and they are used to dealing with short term stays...you can pay by the month with no deposits...maid comes in...clean sheets and towels...

there might be serviced apartments in tai po or sha tin...but i don't know of any
well-travelled

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: serviced apartments Reply with quote

Someone on this forum mentioned a hotel offering serviced apartments in Ma On Shan from HK$6,800 per month. The website is www.horizonsuitehotel.com/eng/index.html. Ma On Shan is far more convenient for the central New Territories - Tai Po, Shatin etc. - than Tin Shui Wai.
well-travelled

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: service apartments Reply with quote

Apologies. To access the website in my last message you need to delete the full stop at the end. It should read - www.horizonsuitehotel.com/eng/index.html
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't know about this place...much better choice...
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott and Well travelled, thank you both very much. I have just been looking at the Horizon Suite website and it looks ideal. Superb in fact. This is a fantastic site for getting top advice. Hopefully it won't be too long and I'll be in a position to be on the giving rather than receiving end myself. In the meantime, I really appreciate everyone's help. Many thanks.
Jenny
arju

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again
there are a number of nets living at new horizons so it would be a help to live there to get some instant support.
bye
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Arju. It looks pretty good on the website. If there are already NETs there, all the better. A good way to start life in HK.
sypanda5

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: AMAZING! Reply with quote

WOW!
horizon suite hotel looks AMAZING! HA! I'm wondering though...how far of a trek (convenient/inconvenient) is it to go from here to Tseun Wan?

Can you go directly from the airport to the service apt? (so you don't have to pay for extra nights at a hotel...)

thanks!
arju

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: horizon suites Reply with quote

Hi re travel from man on shan horizon suites dont bother this would be out of your way take the earlier advice about park island or tsing yi they are closer for you.
hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: