Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Security in the UAE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen,

All is relative, I guess. Smile I was thinking in terms of expats when I wrote that, rather forgetting the finger pointing of locals. Is there a lot of crime during the Haj to lead to that perception?

Stillnosheep,

My avoidance of late night taxis worldwide is probably a reflection of my age - growing up at a time when a woman attacked or disrespected (is that a word?) in any way was considered the guilty party for putting herself into the situation in the first place. A problem that has only improved marginally.

But, I do agree with you that I would almost certainly be safe in that late night taxi in either Japan (except for my shins!!) or the vast majority of the Middle East.

VS
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you veiledsentiments. The taxis are safe. It's just the gaijin that you have to watch out for!
Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillnosheep wrote:
Thank you veiledsentiments. The taxis are safe. It's just the gaijin that you have to watch out for!

Don't you know that we are the ones committing all the crimes! At least that is what the papers and xenophobic politicians say.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
...when a woman attacked or disrespected (is that a word?)...

We be sayin' "dissed".

BD
Sir Gawain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People generally leave you alone here. the main danger in working in the Middle east has been the the driving habits of the local youth. At least that has been my experience here in the UAE these past five years.
hmbaba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Personal safety can often depend on how YOU behave and dress - if you walk around confidently, calmly and purposefully and seem to know what you are doing, you won't really attract any attention. You may often get stared at - but it's not threatening staring - but it can be a bit unnerving sometimes. Follow the usual rules of safety late at night - don't be in an isolated area alone. Only problem I've had with late night taxis is arguing over the price! All taxi-drivers should have a meter and an ID number with name, taxi number etc.
One problem, however, is the stereotyping of certain nationalities, so women from some cultures may have problems. Another problem is that due to the culture etc the men may be from, they may believe in male superiority - even if they didn't graduate from High School and the woman in question has a PhD!
Break-ins can happen over the summer holiday, especially if you live in a villa - not sure what the solution is - have someone go in daily, make contact with neighbours to keep an eye on your place, leave lights on, booby-trap the house - but even so, there are give-away signs like a locked garage... Burgular alarms haven't taken off here yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: