Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice about my job, Germany.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmaxola

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Advice about my job, Germany. Reply with quote

Wow, the forum seems pretty negative on Germany.

This is my deal. I�m making 13� and hour and about 30 hours a week, should have an apartment for about 250� a month.
My question - is this a good pay situation? I�m thinking about jumping on the plane back to America and I�m sorta hard pressed.

Germany seems a bit laid back to me (read: boring), having just come from China. I�m wondering what I should do.
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say this forum is realistic about Germany. I would suggest that 13 euros per hour as a freelance teacher is pretty awful and that's me being honest rather than negative.
If you are working 30 hours per week @ 13 euros thats 1560 euros per month minus 250 euros rent (you didn't say which city), 500 euros tax, 300 euros health insurance, 250 euros pension, which leaves about 250 euros to pay for everything else. I imagine any country in the world would seem boring if you couldn't afford to go out and enjoy yourself.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

You're just one of many ex-Asia teachers finding out that Germany sucks in comparison. If you really can't get a job paying at least 20 euros an hour in the next TWO months, get back to Asia.

don't be daft enough to pay any tax in the meantime. You'll starve to death.
Madmaxola

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I get paid for travel time too, and they pay my Mehrwertssteuer, and health insurance is only 75 a month.

Still maybe not as good as Asia at 30 hours a week, but also less Asia-hassles....(or should it be assholes?)
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Believe it or not I used to be a (crap) freelance writer. When I was in Asia, I could get inspiration just popping out to 7-11. In two years in Germany, all I could rustle up was a few sarcastic posts on Dave’s ESLcafe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: