Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteering. Russia. Welcome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
julis

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Volunteering. Russia. Welcome. Reply with quote

Would anybody be interested in having a bit of teaching experience in Izhevsk, Russia, let me know.

That would involve teaching English at the English evening courses, up to 15 hours a week and additionally teaching almost any classes (if
one feels like doing it) at a regular Junior/Junior High School. Can be anything from PE to Physics... (Done in English or any other major language, just let me know which!)

The time one can or wants to start up all this is negotiable. Almost anytime is fine. One up to a few month stay is possible.

We will provide you with room (homestay) and board (nothing too fancy, but the basic needs will certainly be covered), forward you your visa
support papers (all expenses paid), help you arrange your travel around, in, from Russia in the most economical way possible, assist
you with itinerary and transportation advice.

We will be happy to see you on our outdoor and bicycle trips too. No extra money paid for that, just the regular contribution, everyone makes up to the trip expenses.

Anyone needs more details, drop me a line or two!
email: [email protected]
rogan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
maruss

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: volunteering for Izhevsk etc. Reply with quote

Well at least they are pretty honest Rogan-you do all the work and they give you nothing!It's a pity that many other jobs advertised in Russia are like this,but cunningly disguised to make them seem very attractive-until you actually arrive there and find out the score,by which time it's invariably too late for you to do anything-except leave again,if you were provident enough to buy a return airline ticket!
I once had an experience with a guy from Udmurtia back in the 90's who wanted to do business with me bringing travel groups to Cyprus-his suggestion was that he bring over about 100 factory workers from his firm for one week and they would then tell all their friends and relatives when they returned home to come to Cyprus!The only catch was that he expected all the meals and accomodation to be FREE for the initial group,alleging that we could then make a very good profit by charging high prices for all the ones that he assured me would come afterwards!I also found out that he had access to a Tupolev 154 plane from a local airline which was formed when the Aeroflot internal network dissolved,and though the could charter it to Cyprus-despite there not being an international airport in his town with customs facilities etc. or a certificate for the plane which would allow it to fly outside Russia!Of course,he had no money himself at all,and was planning to charge the factory workers around 150 bucks each to cover the fuel costs-forgetting the landing and parking charges for the plane here during the week it would be sitting at the airport until the return flight! One day,as I often wrote before, I will write a book about my experiences trying to deal with Russians!
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: 2 sides to every coin? Reply with quote

Hello People:

Since we're on the subject of 'volunteering', I thought I'd finally jump into this thread with a couple ideas of my own.

Obviously, what julis is offering here is not something that veteran EFL teachers would seriously consider. That's a no-brainer.

On the other hand, I can see two possible benefits from participating in this kind of work-for-nothing scheme:

#1. for USA or UK university students majoring in Russian, this would be a pretty cool way to practice their language skills on "real" Russians, and do some sightseeing over the summer holiday as well.

#2. for any EFL "newbies" who are thinking seriously about spending an entire year (or more) under contract teaching in Russia, this would be an ideal way to "test the waters", so to speak. i.e. Do I like this? Can I see myself doing this for an entire year? Sort of like a no-risk test drive, if ya know what I mean.

Let's not forget: Many different people browse this forum anonymously, including but not limited to: veteran EFL teachers, EFL teachers who are 'burned out' on Asia and thinking of a move to Europe, total newbies who couldn't find Izhevsk on a map, school Directors, HR managers, general ruso-philes, university students, the FSB? and who knows who else. For someone out there, this might just be appealing.

Anyway, those were my thoughts and now I'm done. Very Happy

Paka!
keNt
rogan

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
maruss

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Julis in Izhevsk.......... Reply with quote

Well Rogan,I hope nobody read all that who is not part of his "krisha" or he will be in big trouble there in Izhevsk if he is into all that much business!
But have you ever met ANY RUSSIAN who is not a wheeler-dealer(or trying to be!)

M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: