Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

video of students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: video of students Reply with quote

Hi!
I made a video of my students in the class and I have it in my computer under an " AVI FILE" I would like to give them a copy so that they can watch it and keep it but I have not been able to do it.
My question is ... DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO COPY FROM AN AVI FILE TO A DVD DISC.
I know this is not exactly the purpose of this forum but I thought some of you might be able to help me. Thanks a lot if you can.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An .avi file will require viewing on a computer and a program such as Windows Video player to make it run. I would have thought the easiest thing to do would be to copy it to CD, since most of your students will have a computer.

To convert to VCD you will need a program. Just do a Google Search on "avi to VCD" and piles of sites will come up.

I would use a Video CD rather than a DVD because even if you do have a DVD writer on your computer and are prepared to pay the much greater cost of the media for little or no apparent gain in quality, it is quite likely it will not record to a format that can be viewed on a commericial DVD player, and there is also the factor that plenty more people have VCD players or computers than have DVD players - which will play VCD's anyway.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: not possible on a CD Reply with quote

Thanks Stephen but I already tried copying it in a CD but it says "too much information not possible to copy it" or something like that. I know now it is difficult to convert an Avi file, apparently I need to convert it into a VOB/IFO or BUP which is what my DVD burner takes.
Anyway I was wondering if it is possible to put it in Yahoo groups and my students could watch it there. I tried but when I say "upload file" it says the file you uploaded is empty.
R

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's too big for a CD it's probably too big for Yahoo Groups. That's just a guess, though. Could you use something like DIV-X to shrink the size of the AVI file? You could then put a copy of the viewer on the CD with the file so that all your students could watch it. http://www.divx.com (I think).

Rob.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: R Reply with quote

I went to the page of the DIV.X you told me and downloaded the programme but I don't see any section where it says shink size of the video. It seems to be what I want because it says it shinks the size of video so that you can fit it into a cd or on the internet without losing quality but I can't find any section to do it. All I was able to do was play the video. Have you by change used this programme and know how to do it?.
R

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I've only used it to watch videos that have already been shrunk. There ought to be some tips somewhere on the website, maybe in a forum? I'm afraid I've moved over to the Mac since then so I can't be much more help.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the file? You can only oopy to CD if it is less than 700MB. If it's larger you will need to compress it or split it.

Do a Google on ".avi + split + file size" and see what you come up with. To reduce the file size using DivX it seems you need to download the pro version or the adware version.

As I said, if your file is over 700MB then you need to find the appropriate software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: