Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it safe to go to Russia?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steven_gerrard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Moscow for almost four years and to be honest it doesn't feel any less safe now than it did before all these atrocities. If I do leave Moscow, it will be for a career move rather than anything else. There is no need to turnm down work in Moscow for this reason.

I think this terror threat in Moscow is being overexaggerated. I am more concerned about crossing the road near my work every day- now that really is a nightmare.
maruss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Russia today...... Reply with quote

After seeing the excellent and very well-researched programme on B.B.C. 2 T.V. in England last night about journalists who have been murdered in Russia recently,even I was scared and very saddened to see just what is really happening to the country,having been there many times during the last 10 years or so.For a first-timer planning to even come for a visit,let alone work for a few hundred dollars pittance in Moscow(or even less in a provincial town!!) the programme was a real "eye-opener" and probably put many people off the place completely.If only it wasn't true and was just another biased piece of western reporting etc.........But unfortunately what we saw was real,and the gloomy weather and miserable,dingy scenes of Togliatti were bad enough,even without the content of the investigation which revealed corruption and evil starting from the very top of the whole rotten system there!And I think this is the tragedy of Russia and why I feel genuinely sorry for the people,including some of my very best friends there........!Now there is also the threat of more terrorist attacks, so what more dare I comment????
rulezz22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would take an advice from a Russian American - I think times are getting better in Russia. Country has been suffering for so long and you cannot expect to find a paradise there. What I see most of the time and what (IMHO) creates most of the fears - is the scare and misunderstanding of cultural differences. I visit Russia often - once or twice a year (as many times as I can afford to go there) and get scared sometimes myself too. And that's because I think I'm too used to living in US now, I expect things to be the way they are here. However, I would gladly move back if I could, because I think if I wouldn't do that, I could never get my soul back in place again. And its not scarier than going to NY, I think. You just need to know where you going and what you're doing out there to be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: