Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you live off 1.8 mil won?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrtanzey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Can you live off 1.8 mil won? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if it is possible to live off of 1.8 mil won in South Korea? That converts to roughly $1500 USD and the job I am looking at includes air, free housing and accomodation (believe it when i see it though). The only debts I have are a $200 student loan payment every month and maybe a credit card payment but hopely that will be gone before I head overseas. Was wondering if it is possible to save money there. What kind of taxes and fees will they take out of that 1.8 mil won? Also I will have my masters and teaching experience but none overseas. Should I be able to get more because I have an MA? Lots of questions I know I know... I would post on the Korea board but the $*%! computer won't let me....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8 is too low for an MA -- 2 million plus, easy. Flight & housing standard. You can live well & bank half your earnings.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.8 depends on working hours. 120 hour contract, figure base of around 2.0, not including experience.
ChrisP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: living costs Reply with quote

You can live just fine on 600,000 to 800,000 a month so you will have plenty to cover your debt. The question is why would you accept 1.8 when the going rate is 2.0 or more. There are plenty of jobs in Korea. Just keep looking.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Separate Reply with quote

Posting on the Korean Board requires a separate registration and username and password for that board. Please email [email protected] and explain your situation.
jibbs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually spent more than a million per month, but I drank a lot.
Emu Bitter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also depends on where abouts in Korea you are. When I first came here I was on 1.4 in 98 but lived in Jeonju. Comfortably saved around 1m a month after I'd paid off my debts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: