Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Malaysia Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtidey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Malaysia Experience Reply with quote

I lived in Honduras for a few months and loved it. I was a divemaster out there, not a teacher, but the days were spent in the hammock outside the diveshop or in crystal blue water leading dives whilst the nights could be as crazy as you make em. a lot of cool beach bars to stagger past barefoot (you inevitably lose your flip flops)

anyhoo, now im trying to figure out where to teach next and i thought malaysia. but, bieng a sailor and a diver im a big water fan, so i was wondering if kuala lumpar had ocean and beaches? i hear thats the most happening place for nightlife, thats the only reason i ask.

basically, any info on malaysia's beaches and nightlife would be handy. im still just musing, its a long way off.

ta.
JosephP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selamat pagi,
Kuala Lumpur, "at the confluence of two muddy rivers" as the ever-so-helpful tourist literature puts it, is not near the ocean. Port Klang, a ways down the road is on the Straits of Melaka, not a real enticing beachy kind of place. But it's easy enough to go to the South China Sea side on the east coast where you can find absolutely fabulous beaches.
I worked in KL (this is what everyone calls Kuala Lumpur) about twelve years ago and I found it to be a quite livable city. The booze is a tad expensive, but the food is fantastic. It's surprisingly cosmopolitan and because it is multicultural, there seems to be something always going on. Just thinking about the place I could sure go for a kopi besar and a nasi lemak right about now.
Hod

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

KL has a Beach Club which is quite good.

There are very few schools in KL. It's a long way from any dive sites which are mainly on the east coast where the number of schools could be counted on the thumbs of one foot. You'd be doing a lot of teaching and not much diving.

Try Thailand or Indo.
Tonester

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an ALT in Japan and I'd recommend Okinawa because the beaches there are pristine and is a known diving spot in Japan. Plus you could also teach english as well as dive....
Doh!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Diving Reply with quote

I was off the north east coast of Malaysia and the diving there is pretty good. Snorkling even. Turtles, sharks, nemos etc. etc. The perhentian islands and those a little further south are worth a visit. No dwugz mind and spirits of any quality are a bit hard to come by as are good toti so Indonesia sounds much betta...but as you asked about diving, well it's very pleasant. Dive, park on beach wiff book, dine and park on bed wiff decent mag and sleep and dive and...very nice. Rolling Eyes
bisca

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Now , if you'd done any research whatsoever, you'd know that Malaysia is a great place for diving.

The famous places are the Perhentians Islands, Pulau Sipadan (in Sabah), Redang, Kapas and quite a few more. And if you've already dived in Malaysian islands, you can always head north to the Thai islands etc.

There's an island I'm really keen to visit.. It's pretty small though and not even in an area where people would think there would be any nice islands. In Johor! LoL . Anyway I saw some pictures and it looks great. Not sure about the diving though : http://www.journeymalaysia.com/MI_rawa.htm

I think you can also check out some other islands there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: