Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongolia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Mongolia Reply with quote

I've been accepted to intern in Mongolia this summer at an English institute. I was wondering if anyone's worked there before who could tell me what it's like to teach/work there. Or perhaps you've been to Inner Mongolia at least and could inform me about the cultural differences so I can anticipate them inside and outside the classroom?

Thanks,
Herman
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: which Mongolia ? Reply with quote

Inner Mongolia is a province of the PRC. Mongolia is an independent country sandwiched betwen China and Asiatic Russia. Which one ?
herman

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Ulaanbaatar Reply with quote

Mongolia itself because I'll be in Ulaanbaatar. I didn't know if there were more people who've had experience in Mongolia or Inner Mongolia so I wanted to ask both. Tell me about your experience if you've been to either place! I'd just like to get ready for anything that might be a "shock" or need time adjusting to.
Thanks, Herman
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Mongolia Reply with quote

Even before the counter-revolution of 1989, there was a British Council Lecturer in Ulan Bator (Ulaanbataar ?) Since the changes Soros has maintained a presence. There are probably some brave souls who have gone there under their own steam. I envy you but suspect that you are in for a tough tiime !
Trebek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Do it! Reply with quote

I haven't been there but I've researched the place. Maybe get there a week before your scheduled to start work and look around. If you don't like the place, then go to China or Korea and find a job.

Here's a cool web-site on Motorcycle tours offered out of Ulaan:
http://www.hctravel.com/chinamongolia.htm

Maybe you can e-mail them (since they do live there), and ask your questions.

Hope this helps.
NipponPoke

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Mongolia Reply with quote

Herman,

I'd be interested in hearing how things have turned out.

I visited UB for a week recently and was interested in it. What a place!

You recommend it?
lostinparis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is a bit old, but wanted to add my two cents...

I spent three months working with an NGO in Mongolia in the summer of 2002 and LOVED IT!!! (The organization I worked for is a "volunteer tour" organization, restoring an ancient Buddhist temple in the Khentii province. Their website is www.crtp.net if you're interested)

Mongolia is incredibly beautiful during the summer, and the people there (both the Mongolians and the ex-pat community) are welcoming and fantastic. Food isn't much to write home about... mutton, mutton, and more mutton...and the architecture is pretty ugly in UB (think Soviet-inspired communist bloc type buildings).. Roads are also spotty and pretty much nonexistent once you leave UB. But that's part of the fun.

I spent most of my time out in the countryside with local people and had a fantastic experience, despite the fact I spoke little mongolian...i learned a whole lot though! Most Mongolians know no English unless they've formally studied it in school. You'll find that most English speakers in Mongolia are university-educated women.

When I finished up my stint with the NGO, I was offered a position teaching English at a school in UB (they were offering $600 USD/month + one bedroom apartment at the time), but I ended up turning it down because I had already accepted a position in Paris. I still fantasize about going back to Mongolia... the three months i spent there were better than the two years i've spent here in the city of lights...

For anyone interested in Mongolia as a teaching destination, i highly recommend it. if you have more questions, i'll be happy to share what I know from my experience there.
silkroad

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Mongolia Reply with quote

Please see my later post under Jobs in Mongolia.
herman

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, funny how I forgot about this post!

lostinparis, I totally agree with all you've said!

To those interested in knowing, $600/month plus apartment is a really good offer in Mongolia, compared to the average Mongolian teacher earning around $100, depending on the school. Public university teachers actually earn only around $80, I heard, which is really ridiculous. I guess it's the same everything; people just don't see how important and difficult a profession it is. Anyways...

NipponPoke: please read my post in "Jobs in Mongolia???" I didn't say too much about my experience in that post, but you can ask more specific questions. lostinparis summed it up pretty well.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

If you do a net search on Google using "Mongolia English Teaching" you will find sites like this

http://home.att.net/~patricksommer/mongol.htm
Lyov

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: I love Mongolia Reply with quote

I am currently living and teaching in UB Mongolia and I really love it. I haven't found anything too shocking. I almost think its too bad, traveling has become for me something like a drug, when you first step off the plane and all you can do is go 'wow' and everything is like a dream. I didn't really get that in Mongolia. I guess I just find the Mongolia people very understandable (not by their language mind you.) It is a wonderful place but you have to enjoy jumping over potholes and dodging traffic. It can be rather dangerous in UB, so it is not considered safe to go out alone at night, I think a few weeks ago a foreigner was stabbed to death. The Mongolians (especially the drunk male) seem to have a greater tendency to employ violence as opposed to a simple mugging, so that can make it a little difficult when you can't go out at night. I wouldn't let that deter you though.

Happy to answer any questions

~Lyov
herman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I'm glad you enjoy it there Lyov.

about the drunken men, I've never been free or un-tired enough to go out at night, but I think it depends on where you are walking. I heard about the drunken men; I've been told not to look them ever in the eyes if I ever see one (and I do during broad daylight as you know they just sleep somewhere overnight and wake up walking down the street still rather drunk).

about dodging cars, it's actually fun. maybe i just got used to it in Hong Kong Smile

I hear Erdenet is a much nicer city although I've never been there and wonder what teaching opportunities there are over there anyway.

What got you to Mongolia? Where are you teaching?
Lyov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Herman,

Sorry I took so long. I'm really enjoying Mongolia. The people are really great, except for those who want to kill me for no reason, but I can usually avoid those people. I've learned how to time the swaying of a drunk man so that I can cross their path without accidently being hit by them. I'm sure its a useful skill elsewhere in the world. Its difficult to not go out at night in the winter when it gets dark by 6 Pm, and thats when the drunks come out. Currently I'm teaching at a place called JET english, TOEFL training, and I got to a couple of companies to teach business english. Also I am studying Mongolian at the National University. I really don't enjoy teaching without every learning the language, I always felt like I was missing so much. The more I learn of the language the more depth and complexty I find (and an understandable but neverless hugh obsession with livestock). I've always been interested in Mongolia. Its kind of a rough country, you've got to be able to ride a horse and hold your vodka, but I don't know about anyone else but I've really fallen in Love with UB, its so small you can really get a handle on it quickly. Also if you make a good Mongolian friend you will never find a person more loyal or ready to back you up in a bar fight. Sometimes it is a great joy to be around these people. I really think you would like it here.

Wish you luck.

Lyov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: